nid some help. i know to remove the pickguard you just unscrew it form the body but how bout the volume,tone,delta-tone and switches? How can i remove them so i can get the pickguard out
for most knobs, the cap pulls off and then theres a bolt keeping it in place, just losen it, small pliers work ok, or a wrench that size, the switch might work the same way, or just has two screws holding it, it's little tip just pulls off too. also. dunno what kindda guitar it is, but one ones with pickups attached to them, they mostly screw off, but ake sure the srpins around the screws dont fly off
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
got a question for the knobs do you remove the caps first before you remove the bolt? coz i can't remove the caps wid my hands. BTW i have an American Fender Strato.
Last edited by g0ther at Sep 7, 2006,
yeah, just pull them off, straight up, try using your nails to get under it or.... something to pry the up with a bit, untill you can get a good finger grip, but carefull, because it's a really easy way to scratch it up, and most of what i said will apply, since it's a fender i had in mind
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Hey, how do you get the pickguard off of a Fender Jaguar?? Is it just that same way? Is there anything attached underneath pickguard? Can you take it off yourself or would it be better to take it to a guitar shop or music store?? Thanks for any feedback!
It's the same exact thing, it takes about 5 minutes, a screwdriver, and possibly a wrench. Only an amputee would need to take it to a shop, and if you are, post a video of you playing said guitar....
Quote by dafacemelter
so its not attached to anything underneath?

Strats have all of their controls attached to the pickguard.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
What about a Jaguar? Is anything attached to the pickguard? Would it be better to take it to a music store?
Quote by dafacemelter
What about a Jaguar? Is anything attached to the pickguard? Would it be better to take it to a music store?

I *think* everything is attached to the pickguard on a Jaguar.

If it doesn't have a control cavity in the back that you can open up, then everything is attached to the pickguard.

Quote by dafacemelter
by the way, FacingUsAll, you have a rad picture thing, JEW rules

Hell yeah they do! I've seen them 8 times, and they have been amazing every time. I can't wait for their new album (and Jim Adkins' custom Fender... possibly the only signature that I'd ever consider buying).
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
holy shit dude, i love their music, do you know when the album comes out?? them and Dinosaur Jr. are my favorite bands of all time!!
From their website:

so. obviously we are still working on our next album. during the christmas break we wrote some new tunes and got ideas for a bunch more. we are working on those and giving them the chance to develop. we are still very excited about what we have competed thus far and we hope to wrap it up as soon as possible. but this is the way rock is. sorry. shit takes forever. we don't consider ourselves on island time by any stretch. we want to make sure every song feels like it is as complete as it needs to be. to put songs out there and call it an album is an important thing for us. we have yet to compromise a recording session for the sake of a final product. we aren't about to start 12 years into the band. thank you for your patience and we hope to get more up, more often.

thanks
jim

I don't mind waiting. Their albums are always so polished and amazing sounding .

What is also cool is that there is a "Musicians' Place" part of their forums, and Jim posts there a lot and answers lots of questions.

Quote by utsapp89
a couple of things to add.

knobs that are tough to remove can be sling shotted off by wedging a thin sock under the knob at the socks middle. pull the knob up and off.
you would leave these knobs on unless u were planning on swapping the guard.
like said, the pups and pots are connected to the guard.

as for removing the guard?
the gaurd may still be attached by a few wires. to take completely off for swapping. u may need to desolder the jack inputs and a grounding wire.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
FacingUsAll- sweet thanks for the info. I'm way excited for their album! This is a little bit off topic, but ya know how their latest album Futures is a bit more down beat from the rest of their stuff? (not saying thats bad, its a great album) Do you think it was partially because of the death of Elliott Smith? Thats just what my thought is, since they were big fans of his. I just wasnt sure, and it seems that you are quite a bit more knowledgable in the ways of Jimmy Eat World, so i thought you could have some insight. thanks for the info dude

jj1565- thanks for the info, i'm pretty much retarded on the technicalities of guitars..all i know is that i love music, like nothing i've ever loved before, and i love playing guitar. with my knowledge, i would've popped that baby off and screwed everything up, and i would be quite distraught if i messed up my guitar, so thanks for the info!!
no problem. how come ur opening it up?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

change the pickguard. its got a red-swirl pickguard and an olympic white body..it isnt too fitting, so i'm going to change it. But yeah, i'm gunna take it into a music shop to do it. thanks again, i would've been screwed i think
yep ok thought so. just repost if u decide to try and get confused.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by dafacemelter
FacingUsAll- sweet thanks for the info. I'm way excited for their album! This is a little bit off topic, but ya know how their latest album Futures is a bit more down beat from the rest of their stuff? (not saying thats bad, its a great album) Do you think it was partially because of the death of Elliott Smith? Thats just what my thought is, since they were big fans of his. I just wasnt sure, and it seems that you are quite a bit more knowledgable in the ways of Jimmy Eat World, so i thought you could have some insight. thanks for the info dude

You are allowed to be off topic; it's your thread .

I think that most of the change in their sound had to do with changing producers from Mark Trombino to Gil Norton.

I'm sure that the death of Elliott Smith affected their music. They did a cover of a Heatmiser song (Elliott's band) on the "Stay On My Side Tonight EP" called "Half Right"; did you buy that album? If not, you really should, because there is an amazing song called "Disintegration" on there that is very "23ish".
Quote by utsapp89
i'm taking off the pickguard on my Fender MIJ Strat. i've taken all the screws out and taken all the strings off. where do i go from here? as in, What do i do about the wires and knobs?
the guard will be attached to the guitar by the input wires.

if you pull off the plastic knobs, and take the nut off of each stem the pots will come off the guard.

in addition the switch is held on by two screws. as are each pickup.

so each item comes off and then goes back on again in the same place, on the new guard.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

how do you "pull off" the plastic knobs? it seems like i'd break something
it's hard to do after the guard is off. but they actually just pull off. you can wedge a guitar pick under there, something like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So on a strat replacing the pickgaurd is a screws only job,no soldering?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
yeah because the wires are all attached to the parts that can be removed.

the only exemption would be it someone had connected a grounding wire under some shielding directly on the guard, and had connected that to a pot.

but that's something someone does to a strat themselves, not something done at the factory.

Also: as long as this came up, while you have the guard off before you attach the electronics to the new guard, shield the new guard and shield the guitar cavities.

your strat will be so much quieter if you do. and all you have to do is buy some self adhesive copper foil. and then layer it on in there.

Look AT This:
http://myfolder.se/myspace/?k=noiseless
just for the grounding pics, no need to star ground unless there's a problem with the guitar. also, it shows the inside of the guitar cavity.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 18, 2008,
so do the knobs just pop back on? just double checking, the volume and tone knobs are suppose to pull off?