hey guys, ive been playing for about a year now, and i still use the convenience of an elctronic tuner. I can tune the guitar up by the 5th fret open note thing, but it takes a while to get it good. so how do you learn to tune just by ear.
Practice/experience. The longer you've played the easier it will be to recognise notes.
You mean just hear an open A and know its out of tune? Dude, thats hard for 99.93% of the human population. You would probably have to either A) Played only by ear for like 6 years or B) Be Classically trained or something.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
I would say either use the tuner to tune the E string and then tune the rest of the strings using the 5th fret method.

or, as my guitar teacher just showed me yesterday, the best way to tune is take the A string and tune every other string to the A string using 5ths (ask about it if you don't know), that way, if you tune one string off a little bit, not every other string is out of tune after it relative to the earlier tuned strings (If the A string is a bit low to the E, and the D string is tuned low to the A, D is really low compared to the E and it sucks)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
it just comes with practise. It took me about 6-7 months, but thats because i had a friend constantly nagging me to do it
Ive been playing for 6-7 months and i can tune 95% accurate by ear. The past 2 motnhs my teacher takes my guitar, untune it completely and it gives it back to me to tune it back again by ear. First was imposible, but now i can do a good job tuning it.
how can you tune the low e string without a tuner, cos if you can get that you can get the rest, although i do have a problem tuning using the openstring /fret between the d and g string, cos they just sound really different
I tune low e string until i hear a good sound . After that i test a song on the e string, if it sounds good then its tuned.
Get a tuning fork in A.....about 440 hz. Vibrate it and place it against the soundboard. Once the A is tuned. Tune the rest.
Correct me if I'm wrong; mind over matter works for me. If I don't mind; it don't matter.