OK, here's the story behind this tone test... It wasn't really intended to be a Gibson vs Agile thread

I've been suffereing from bursitis and tendonitis in my right arm for about 6 weeks now, and hadn't been able to play guitar in all that time. In the last week or so, the pain has practically all gone away, so a couple of nights ago, I decided to try playing guitar to see if I could actually hold a pick again without my hand cramping up and paralyzing. It turns out I was able to play, so I started learning stuff from the new Slayer album, Christ Illusion. For starters, I decided to try recording a quick cover of the beginning of Skeleton Christ.

So for this clip, I used my Gibson Les Paul Studio with stock Gibson 49x pickups. The guitar happened to be in the right tuning, so I used it because I didn't feel like retuning.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=865523&T=3122

Yesterday, I decided that the guitars in the original clip sounded a bit muddy, so I decided to retune my EMG-equipped Agile and rerecord the same clip. I used all the same amp settings and same mic positioning. The only difference was the guitar used for the recording. I also put a little more care into the levels than in th eoriginal mix, but used all the same EQ settings etc. The only difference is the guitar that was used

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=865919&T=5496

And this thread isn't meant to show off one guitar over the other, etc. This is a simple objective test to show how the 2 guitars stack up to each other tonally under the exact same conditions. And as much as I intended to keep the Gibson stock (electronically), I've now decided I'm going to be installing new pickups. Not sure which yet though.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
huh pretty kool
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

yeah, very cool man, I like em both. The Agile sounds a little less fizzy/muddy with more output, but I don't know if that's just hearing the mix levels. Kickass man. Glad to hear you're feeling better man, that's got to suck.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
They're both good, but i still prefer the soudn of the gibson.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
Yup, Agile FTW. Sounded less fizzy.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I prefer the core tone of the Gibson, but much prefer the loud, agressive tone from the Agile. The EMGs make a huge difference in tone. The Agile has far more agressive attack and a more in-your-face tone with less high end fizzies and an über-tight low end. Those Gibson 49x pickups really tend to loose it with the lows and they muddy things up with drop tunings. They're good pickups, but really not geared to the style of music I'm playing.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

when you record those tracks I assume you're playing thru an amp which is mic'ed to some kind of multi-track recorder. but how loud is the amp? are you in a recording/rehersal studio?
I'm recording thru my Genz Benz El Diablo miked up with a Shure SM-57 and into my mixer, then sound card. I'm recording in my home studio in my basement. Volume is fairly low, but the amp is being boosted with my new Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (pisses all over my Tube Screamer).

i prefer the gibson.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
The Agile sounded much, much better.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I thought the Agile did sound clearer and cut through better. So I'm going with the EMG's, for the song was a better fit.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Just what I has been looking for
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Crunchmeister
I'm recording thru my Genz Benz El Diablo miked up with a Shure SM-57 and into my mixer, then sound card. I'm recording in my home studio in my basement. Volume is fairly low, but the amp is being boosted with my new Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (pisses all over my Tube Screamer).

Really? what version tubescreamer do you have?
"And you will never hear surf music again..."
808-modded Ibanez TS-5
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
This is hardly comparing the sound of an Agile to a Gibson, its simply passive vs active. Too much of the tone is dictated by the pickups in this demonstration.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
This is hardly comparing the sound of an Agile to a Gibson, its simply passive vs active. Too much of the tone is dictated by the pickups in this demonstration.

I guess you're right, so stock Gibby pickups sound a bit fizzy on the El Diablo?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
The agile had a better bottom end chunk imho, but they both sounded great.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music