Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

Iv been thinking about buying an LP for a while now and iv been asking around for advice on which model. According to some, if your really looking for that "Les Paul" sound/tone, Epiphones will NOT acheive what you are looking.

Iv heard them to be called "glorfied toys". Is this true? I was banking on these guitars being good quality, and generally great to play. Obviously they cant stand beside Gibsons but on the whole i thought they were good guitars, and had an element of LP is there nature.

Can anyone comment on this and perhaps recommend me a sepecific model under £300?

thanks.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld

Iv heard them to be called "glorfied toys". Is this true?

No. Dunno about model, don't know about prices in britain.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
wait till you have £400 quid the difference is amazing, i have a les paul custom (alpinewhite) and it achieves what i thought it would but i think i might sell it to get a fender cos although its pretty amazing at blues i just want to step up into the next class of guitar if ye get me.
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
They're decent for the money. Obviously you can't compare it to a Gibson, anyone who does should be shot for having such a narrow mind.

I went to a my local guitar shop to try (and eventually buy) an Epi LP Standard. You can get these off the internet for £300.

I don't think you can get Agiles in England so Epis are a pretty good shot....
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I think glorified toys might be a bit harsh. I have one, but admit i'm looking to upgrade to something better.
Although i've got one i couldn't really comment on how good they are as such. I didn't try anything else at the time. I can tell you that they normally go for around £300 - £330 ish.

I bought mine years ago cos i wanted a guitar that looked like Slashs (showing my age!!).
It was a big improvement over my crappy starter guitar, and as many people will tell you the sound is more down to the amp and FX you use than the guitar itself. Mine was new, action and playability was good, but i'd suggest you try other stuff in your price range. The only problem i've had is the pick-up selector crackles a bit if you try and use both pick-ups. And the input jack wasn't put together too well. I always have problems and have to tighten it up once in a while.

Hope this helps. Short vs: Try before you buy and definately try others. I had a go on an Ibanez AR200 t'other day and that kicked crap out of my Epiphone LP, and was about £370.

Happy hunting!
i don't give a **** about combat18
I played an Epi LP Custom and I thought it was pretty nice, even though LPs aren't my cup o' tea.
Hi, I'm Peter
Hi,
I agree we the one o the guys above in that you should wait til u have around £400, or at the very least £350.
I own a Epiphone les paul custom and am very happy with its tone etc for the money i payed for it.
If u are after a LP then be sure to get a custom or try this alternative. Its a yamaha (yes i know they dont have too great a name but this guitar rocks) in the shape of a les paul but thinner and lighter and also with a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker at the bridge.
check it out at http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68392
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Strat Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Marshall VS100 Combo
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Podxt Live
very nice intermediate epis...
the ultra, the plain top, the standard, even the studio. (its a standard without the cosmetics)
look around, newer models are all mahogany. mahogany/alder is fine, but not as true to gibson sound.

anything below the studio, the lp-100, ect, are beginner guitars at best.

look for grover tuners, and any models with upgraded pickups.

the only flaw i see in the standard series is how the switch seems to always fail after a year or so. $15. fix tho. and i think i read that they were planning on upgrading that as well.
also u might find the strap pegs get loose prematurely. again, a simple fix.
buy some strap locks after a year or so.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
are you crazy? epi LPs are high quality!
a standard or a custom are great, but dont go thinking that an epi lp special II is a good guitar.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Epi's can be great guitars. Yes, there are duds, but for the most part, they're great.

I second Jenny's suggestions. Anything from the Studio up is good. I tried a Les Paul Classic yesterday and I was blown away by it. It was all mahogany - no alder in the middle, and sounded great. It also had a really, really nice feel to it, as have all of the Epi's that I've ever played.

If you want a Les Paul and have a budget under $2000, Epi is the way to go.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Epi's can be great guitars. Yes, there are duds, but for the most part, they're great.

I second Jenny's suggestions. Anything from the Studio up is good. I tried a Les Paul Classic yesterday and I was blown away by it. It was all mahogany - no alder in the middle, and sounded great. It also had a really, really nice feel to it, as have all of the Epi's that I've ever played.

Im thinking of buying the Classic over all the others, mainly becuase its under £300 and its basically the same as a standard, although i think you will find its not pure mahogany the top is alder.
I've tried about 6 Epiphones in Guitar Center when I was in the states ..From 300$ to 600$ and they all seemed kinda cheap and bad sounding to me so I left with a Schecter Gryphon. I strongly advise you guys to try it before you buy it. And if you want to buy an Epiphone Les Paul, buy the Plain Top one, it's mahogany without alder .
Why are they done with Alder tops anyway? Surely it would be easier just to do plain mahogany and not fag around with sticking different woods together. Doesnt really make sense.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Im thinking of buying the Classic over all the others, mainly becuase its under £300 and its basically the same as a standard, although i think you will find its not pure mahogany the top is alder.

So what is wrong with the alder? If it affects the tone then in what way and how?
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Quote by tristan123/
So what is wrong with the alder? If it affects the tone then in what way and how?

I never said it was a bad thing, although some people think it detracts from the real LP tone and weakens sustain.
The alder is meant to brighten the tone. In the center of the body it took away that traditional LP sound, but as a thin top I can't tell that big of a difference between it and maple. At the absolute most, the top is as thick as the binding, minus the 1/16" quilt maple veneer. That leaves *maybe* a quarter inch of alder as a "top." I personally doubt that Epi would even bother with it. My guess it that they're mahogany (2-3 piece body, as with most guitars under $1000) with just the thin maple veneer. Adding more wood, whether maple or alder, means an extra phase of construction, which means extra cost.

My guess is that they just use a mahogany body for the classics and leave it at that. Adding that seemingly unnoticeable piece of 1/4" alder for a top just doesn't sound like it would be worth it to them.

And, even if they do use alder for a top, it's still a good combo and at least it's not an inch thick slab in the middle of the guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
like said, if they add an alder top, its not going to change the tone much, it would just be to pretty it up a little. (for whatever reason)

and for the record, i kind of like the bright bounce in my studio. its not like alder is a crap wood.

i cant say for certain, which models have which tops, pups or cores, because epi's site is crap.
they change things around alot, dont label other things, and like an air of mystery where their pickups are concerned.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I've just ordered an epiphone lp std plus from a shop,and because of this lark I'm slightly reluctant to buy it. When I played it the owner said 1)It has an all-mahogany body,and said he didn't understand why they would put alder in it. Also that it had a maple top.(not alder). On the back of the neck it said made in china. Will this be a good guitar even though it's made in china/not korea,should i take his word for it? Confused! Why don't people tell the truth?
Actually now that Jenny has commented im caught between the studio and the classic.

Also what pups do they use? I cant find any info on the site im buying them from.
well ull probably want the binding on the upper end epi's. it adds a little strength.
i got mine cause i love the looks.

the pickups are epi stock pups. there's an upgrade in the "above std" level. i think it says something about High Output. where the lower intermediate omit that phrase.

and yes, i dont remember seeing alder top just Maple. i think i mentioned i wasnt sure if it would be alder at all. but couldnt confirm either way.

that's my only epi pic, dont think im being a jerk please.
as u can see it's pretty sharp. im putting in pearly gates (zebra) and probably a swineshead pup.

it was a little headstock heavy so i moved the strap peg and ate out an extra guitar cavity, to compensate for my smaller frame.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 7, 2006,
Another way of getting a good Epi LP is to get a second hand one that was made before 2000. Before 2000 all of the Epi's were made in Korea and were very high quality, solid Mahogany with no alder and put together well.

They can be identified easly because the truss rod cover has "Gibson" stamped on it instead of the model number. Hope this helps
Hey how do you identify where/when they were made by reading the serial no? Thanks.
Are the new china made ones not as good as the korean?
Lol, i do belive thats a Squier tele your hiding in there Jenny

How would you compare the Classic to the Studio?
Quote by jj1565

that's my only epi pic, dont think im being a jerk please.

Jerk.
Hi, I'm Peter
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

threadstarter i got an epi LP classic thats just about to go on ebay, PM me and ill give you details if your interested
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Quote by tristan123/
Hey how do you identify where/when they were made by reading the serial no? Thanks.
Are the new china made ones not as good as the korean?

The first letter on the serial number is the factory that the guitar was made in, the first two numbers denote the year. So if the first two numbers are 04 then it was made in 2004 if its 98 then the guitar was made in 1998.

In my own opinion the guitars made by epiphone prior to 2000 are far better quality than those being currently made. BNUt i would try a new Lp and Prior to 2000 Lp and see what you think.
Quote by Xenn99

Under $2000??? You can easily get a nice Gibson for that, especially if you go used.
They are decent for the cash but, as with any purchase you will have to have it set up properly and imo, you will have to strip the hardware and pickups to replace them with higher quality. I used an epiphone goth g400 for awhile but, it doesn't play or sound like a gibson. It wasn't bad though like i said. Scecters are great for the money and imo much better than epi's but, going that route would mean a personal inspection of the instrument. I got a defective model from Guitar Center the other day and had to have them return it for a new one. I am not sure if you get Schecters there or not though.
I've tried a couple of Epiphone LP's, they looked OK, but the neck and fretboard were nothing special, the sound was also pretty mediocre, maybe they were unrepresentative of the general Epiphone quality, I don't know, but I think you are paying for the name somewhat with that range of guitars, though I can understand people wanting to have something that looks an LP but without the price tag.
threadstarter I have an Epi Les Paul Black Beauty and love it! at gak.co.uk it only cost me £359. I have been playing more since I got it than I ever did before, I just can't seem to put the thing down. I even take it into work to practice on my lunch break. Yes I know a Gibson would (probably) be much better but for the money it's wonderful.
all epi's should be used as fire wood
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Hi all,

Iv been thinking about buying an LP for a while now and iv been asking around for advice on which model. According to some, if your really looking for that "Les Paul" sound/tone, Epiphones will NOT acheive what you are looking.

Iv heard them to be called "glorfied toys". Is this true? I was banking on these guitars being good quality, and generally great to play. Obviously they cant stand beside Gibsons but on the whole i thought they were good guitars, and had an element of LP is there nature.

Can anyone comment on this and perhaps recommend me a sepecific model under £300?

thanks.

Take this for what it's worth...

I paid $405 w/ shipping for an Agile AL-3000 w/ '57 classic pickups. I toyed around with my crap Crate amp that is over 15 years old and I had the tone of Sweet Child O' Mine damn near perfect.

The Agile is a very nice guitar. All indications are you should probably upgrade the pickups, but you'd still have a great guitar for under $500 US. They(Rondo) have guitars listed on ebay all of the time.
Quote by Ibanez_rawker
but I have a penis.... and when most guys have the chance to get some, they are gonna take it.... our hormones were going out of control and her 'rents weren't home.

Edit: she knew I wasn't wearing a condom.
Quote by malmsteenkid

Not trying to be smart or anything but can I ask why you say that? What makes an Epi bad in your opinion? Have you played all the Epi's there are out there to know they are all bad?

As I say I am not trying to be smart or cocky I would just like to have your opinion on it rather than a throw away statement such as you gave. I mean you may have a totally valid point but you didn't explain why.
Quote by astrochimp
Hey jj did your strat come with the gold hardware or is that custom? I just got my strat and in time i wanna do the same thing.

it came wt the gold hardware. its a MIA 62' deluxe players strat. i swapped the guard for white. put the tortoise guard it came wt on the mim next to it.

Quote by malmsteenkid

that's funny, that's exactly how i feel about you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
it came wt the gold hardware. its a MIA 62' deluxe players strat. i swapped the guard for white. put the tortoise guard it came wt on the mim next to it.

Cool thanks,great looking guitar
Page 1 of 2