Page 1 of 2
Okay, so pretty soon I'll have saved enough money to finally get one of my dream guitars... a Fender Jaguar or a Fender Mustang. However, I'm having a pretty damn hard time deciding between the two. I've played a Mustang before and loved it, but right now I'm leaning a bit towards the Jag (though I hear the Jag has a lot of design flaws).

Do any of you guys have any experiene with either of these guitars? If so, why would you choose it over the other?

Thank you in advance!
^ Yeah, I considered it... but after 20 seconds I labeled it "fugly"
I own a mustang myself and I think its sweeeeet! it has got some minor "defects" over 40years but it's still amazing
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
a Fender cyclone 2, mustang body and neck, Jaguar Pickup switches and controls, Fender stratacaster Tremolo and pickups, great guitar, Loved that guitar (Before I Sold it) And as I've stated before I MISS MY CYCLONE!!!,
Last edited by Spade1 at Sep 7, 2006,
Quote by backtothe70s
I own a mustang myself and I think its sweeeeet! it has got some minor "defects" over 40years but it's still amazing

^ What kind of defects?

Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Aww! god no. Fender Jags are horrible.

*insert vomit smiliey*

^ Why?!
Quote by Spade1
Fender cyclone 2,

Booourns...
I have a mustang and I love it. The pickups need to be adjusted, the wiring needs to be redone and the bridge is not the most stable. It does have a sound that cannot be reproduced.
I would go for a mustang or a jazzmaster
I like the Mustangs a little better than the Jaguars. I'd say go for the Mustang.

Edit: Or the Jaguar HH.
Quote by Tim-kun
^ What kind of defects?

^ Why?!

I had to replace the sadle cause the strings had started to cut into the neck(head), replaced the tuners cause they got bent during live performance by my dad I think. Thats what I have done but there has never been any problems with mics or any electronics.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
If you're looking at the $700 range Mustang Reissue and the Jaguar HH, I'd say it just comes down to what you're looking for - Single coils, or humbuckers?

Looks are important, but if a guitar just doesn't sound how you want it to you're not going to use it no matter how cool it looks.

There's also the Cyclone, as Spade pointed out.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Tim-kun
Okay, so pretty soon I'll have saved enough money to finally get one of my dream guitars... a Fender Jaguar or a Fender Mustang. However, I'm having a pretty damn hard time deciding between the two. I've played a Mustang before and loved it, but right now I'm leaning a bit towards the Jag (though I hear the Jag has a lot of design flaws).

Do any of you guys have any experiene with either of these guitars? If so, why would you choose it over the other?

Thank you in advance!

yeah the jag has many flaws but those can be easily fixable. im gonna get one myself
Jazzmaster!!!

But try out a decent Jag next to a Mustang, see which one you'd rather have sex with, er.. i mean buy...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Xenn99
If you're looking at the $700 range Mustang Reissue and the Jaguar HH, I'd say it just comes down to what you're looking for - Single coils, or humbuckers?

Looks are important, but if a guitar just doesn't sound how you want it to you're not going to use it no matter how cool it looks.

There's also the Cyclone, as Spade pointed out.

Money isn't the issue at the moment. I can get a CIJ Fender Mustang for $600 or a CIJ Fender Jaguar for $750, so it's more about tone/reliability/features. I've had a Les Paul for 3 years, so I'm awefully sick of the humbucker sound. If I got a Jag or Mustang, I'd have to get a REAL one - meaning original single coil models only.

EDIT: And how is the Jazzmaster compared to the Jag and Stang? I've never even heard one before...!
Quote by Tim-kun
Money isn't the issue at the moment. I can get a CIJ Fender Mustang for $600 or a CIJ Fender Jaguar for $750, so it's more about tone/reliability/features. I've had a Les Paul for 3 years, so I'm awefully sick of the humbucker sound. If I got a Jag or Mustang, I'd have to get a REAL one - meaning original single coil models only.

EDIT: And how is the Jazzmaster compared to the Jag and Stang? I've never even heard one before...!

They have no sustain.... basically. They have a very "surfy" sound. Go to a shop and give one a try. Remember lots of reverb.

Edit: They are a very thin sounding guitar. Very single coil

Edit 2: I like the word : very
^ I would've gone toa shop and tried one, but there's absolutely NO shops around here that carry any "different" Fenders. =[
Either get a [Real]Jag, not a HH, or a Reissue stang. Both rock, both need a little adjusment and work, and Pup change if your an idiot, but there really nice guitars. Cyclones are good two, but Swuire Gcylone bites balls...
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I played my mates Jazzmaster for ages a while ago with my amp+FX, and it sounded orgasmic, the bridge is nice and twangy, and the neck pickup is silky smooth and full and warm sounding, I really did love it.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by Antroid
Jaguar HH's are pretty good...

thats like saying having aid's is good. use the search button to find my views on that.

And why does nobody reccomend me to the Jag threads like in the olden days?
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Er.... I think you should talk to Pedricko about this...
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
I played my mates Jazzmaster for ages a while ago with my amp+FX, and it sounded orgasmic, the bridge is nice and twangy, and the neck pickup is silky smooth and full and warm sounding, I really did love it.

I think you like jazzmasters in a way that we will never know
^Haha, I just like to use good describing words.... But I did prefer my Strat over it though.
Don't be afraid to care"

IMO you really need to try em out.
I'd go for the jag, but I'm a complete Jag fangirl.
They need a lot of TLC to get them at there best.
People either hate/love them.
Very twangy, low sustain, trebley, but it all adds to the sound. But you can get higher output pickups that will retain the sound.
As for design flaws, all I have found wrong is the bridge. And the neck needed a bit of adjusting, but that was after a string gauge swap. Which is pretty much a necessity unless you want your strings to hang off.
I haven't tried the 'stang much. Just messed around for a few minutes with it. Very nice guitar, not for me, but it was nice. They're both a good choice depending on what your into and you know what you're up against.
Yeah most of these arguements seem right, and I still remember Ped's lard jag and the story he told of his first...hey Ped, what's your opnion on the japanese Jags? (I'm very poor)
Jaguar all the way...it's damn purrrty
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by smb
Cyclone II>Mustang>Jagstang>Jaguar IMO

Cyclone II'ws don't sound like Jags, even though they have jag Pups. No your saing that

Redone mustang>Mustang Real thing> Kurt Cobain's sig with the ****ty stock pups> the nice american made reissue of a classic?

get a jag and chnage the bridge
or get an HH one, it already has a tune o matic and humbuckers
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
get a jag and chnage the bridge
or get an HH one, it already has a tune o matic and humbuckers

WTF? Never EVER put a humbucker on a Jag! It ruins the whole sound! Just get a Standered Jag and then later on get a HH jag and put nice pickups in it. Jag Pups Rock!! HH's Pup's BITE FUCKING BALLS!!!

not everyone buys a jag for the sound.....what about the look.....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
According to your "crafted" logic, Japanese Fenders are CIJ. Does mean that Fender USA = CIA? Think about the implications!

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by zekk
Cyclone II'ws don't sound like Jags, even though they have jag Pups. No your saing that

Redone mustang>Mustang Real thing> Kurt Cobain's sig with the ****ty stock pups> the nice american made reissue of a classic?

I'm going purely on looks. There's nothing you can't change or replace on a Fender anyway.
Quote by danzig-_-
not everyone buys a jag for the sound.....what about the look.....

WTF? Why the hell buy a guitar because it looks cool? Thats like buying a BCRICH, one of the normal ****ty ones, because it looks "metal" But a guitar for the sound and because you like the way it plays and feels, no other reason, otherwise your a poser. A ****ing poser.

Rant over.

(I was just using BCRICH as an example, no bashing please)

Quote by smb
I'm going purely on looks. There's nothing you can't change or replace on a Fender anyway.

Srry for the double post.

The Cyclone looks almost exactly like A Stang. And as I said, If you go purly on looks your a bloody poser IMO.

so if someone bought a strat and changed the pickups to EMGS, that ruins it?
so with your logic, if someone buys a guitar that plays nicely, looks great, but the pickups arent just right for them and they change the pickups, theyre a poser?
lots of people buy hums to replace single coils
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
^ so you dont like the look of your guitar?

(to zekk)
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Quote by danzig-_-
so if someone bought a strat and changed the pickups to EMGS, that ruins it?
so with your logic, if someone buys a guitar that plays nicely, looks great, but the pickups arent just right for them and they change the pickups, theyre a poser?
lots of people buy hums to replace single coils

No, Im saying that with a tonally priticular guitar like the Jag, Or the Jazzmaster, It would ruin the very reason of getting the guitar, IMO.

^ so you dont like the look of your guitar?

(to zekk)

Quite frankly no, but thats because its an EPi LP Special ED, I hate the LP look, especally when its not a flame top or a carved top. I really like the tele loo kand sound, and the strat look and sound. Im a fender guy, and generally Im a Stock or Vintage parts guy. If you can get a set of vintage parts for the instrument, especally if its a tonally priticular one like a Jag or stang, get them, but thats the only time I think a Pup swap is worth it.

Quote by zekk
Srry for the double post.

The Cyclone looks almost exactly like A Stang. And as I said, If you go purly on looks your a bloody poser IMO.

Edit instead then.

Well it's gonna sound like a Fender anyway, but different enough to a strat not to sound like the millions of strat players (bless 'em). Unless you have some specific requirement that can only be fulfilled on one then how would you suggest choosing?
Page 1 of 2