Hey everyone. I have the Isle Of Wight concert and i've watched it many times. I've noticed that on the back of Jimi's strat, the white plate bit that covers the back where the strings go through is taken off. I also noticed the same with Stevie Ray Vaughan, he has this. I wondered what exactly this was and what is achieved by doing this, thanks
currently playing a Stratocaster
Amp - small 15watt thing, getting 150 watt soon

My top 5 guitarists

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Jimmy Paige
5. John Frusciante
A lot of players play with the back cover off. Reason? I have no idea. I don't play with a plate on mine, either. But that's because I was doing mods on my guitar and lost it. Definitely makes changing strings easier.
Hi, I'm Peter
I leave it off cause it makes changing the strings easier, as said above. Maybe it changes the sound a little, though if it does I never noticed it. IMO it looks a little better, especially when you've got all 5 springs installed.
Yea, the problem was, I had it off, and it was giving this weird electric sound off. Like, there was interference or something. And when i put the plate back on, it was gone. Any ideas on what it was?

My top 5 guitarists

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Jimmy Paige
5. John Frusciante
Maybe the springs picking up vibrations caused feedback. A friend of mine did a mod to his springs where he coated them in rubber cement. I have no idea what that does.
Hi, I'm Peter
I also (on my strat) adjust the springs so the trem thing "floats" so I can bend pitches up and down.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
How do you add a spring in? I've had a look on my strat, it all looks scary, any links here?

My top 5 guitarists

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Jimmy Paige
5. John Frusciante
Heh. It's simple. Just buy a new string, stick the loopy end over the hook, and push the pin into the small hole in the bridge block.
Hi, I'm Peter
Don't know if it's still there as it's been several years, but I saw Hendrix White Isle of Wight Strat at the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas.
Yeah, loadsa people take the plate off, (John frusciante, Yngwie Malmsteem are the ones who I've seen do it that haven't already been mentioned), but I think it's just because it looks a little bit cooler, 'specially if you're playing with your teeth or behind your head...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
perhaps since its the roadies are changing the strings every day for the next gig, its just easier and less hassle to leave it off, as i doubt it changes the noise much unless its loose,
i took mine off because i had to put more springs in the back. i just left it off. i think it looks cooler any way and my guitar heros did it so i said hey why not.
The sound is different, its not because "it lookes cooler" ... personally i think it sounds much better when its off and I always take it off for gigs and stuff.
I don't like the look of a strats back plate left off. It looks, unfinished. Fender guitars are pretty much designed to look like cars, leaving the back thingy off kinda looks like leaving the gas tank cover off of a car. But that's just me.
its much easier changing the strings too with the back plate off. I hate trying to get the ends of the strings through the holes they have for them. most of the time i spend a few minutes on one or two strings. could be that in concerts they restring all the time or they would get rusty real fast. just a convenience thing from my point of view.
I don't have one. I built my Strat from parts, and I saw no reason to buy a back plate.

Nicer for string changes.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
mine has a bridge block in it so a plate wouldnt fit either way
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
Jimi probably left it off to avoid the minor inconvience of removing and replacing it when his strings got changed. Stevie probably did it because Jimi did it.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."