Today I was listening to Dan Fogelberg for the first time, and when I heard the song "the river" i thought, hey this sounds familiar.

Suddenly I realised that it sounds exactly like a song on Richard Ashcroft's new album (you may guess which one) not only the chord progression, melody and key have been stolen but also the way is builds up.

Such a shame how a songwriter I always respected and admired seams to be on the "oasis-mode"
who cares
If you play Twisted Sister's 'Burn In Hell' backwards, you get a message telling you to go to church and pray every sunday.
who the hell is Dan Fogelberg did you know, george harrison's 'my sweet lord' tune had lot similarities to The Chiffons " He's so Fine"??? but 'my sweet lord' is a better and biggest hit than "he's so fine".
Quote by indie_libertine
who cares

Actually I care...

I think it's a real shame when that kind of thing happens, especially when it's someone as esteemed as Richard Ashcroft. It may be a complete coincidence but it happens a lot. I saw someone mention Oasis...
Please like me, I'm lonely...
richard ashcroft is too arrogant for my liking
also didnt he say he was more famous than jesus once?
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Quote by Lost_Rose
richard ashcroft is too arrogant for my liking
also didnt he say he was more famous than jesus once?

he suffers with 'bipolar disorder', some kind of depression disease which is hard to cope up with day to day life. they suffer depression for no reason, this man (richard ashcroft) suffers with very high intensitivity of that disease which is very hard to live with. It might be the reason for his silly billy babbling sometimes.
Quote by perpetualdays
Actually I care...

I think it's a real shame when that kind of thing happens, especially when it's someone as esteemed as Richard Ashcroft. It may be a complete coincidence but it happens a lot. I saw someone mention Oasis...

You should probably hate "Come Together" by The Beatles and loose respect for John Lennon and Paul McCarntey as songwriters because of it.

Using stuff from other songs is part of writing, every artist does it. Even the most educated composers do it. I know one that comes to mind is John Williams. He may write some of the best scores for movies, but he rips off alot of melodies from other songs.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

Quote by indie_libertine
who cares

warned. I mean, seriously.

This type of thing happens all the time... it doesn't make him a thief. Dani California is Mary Jane. Ohio is Sweet Home Alabama. Some Green Day song (I forget which) is also Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4. Every 12 bar blues song is the same chord progression. It happens. It should be nothing to look down upon someone for unless you honestly think he was there and thought hmm, I know what. I could rewrite this song AND NO ONE WOULD EVER KNOW!! MUAHAHHAHA.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
When I play open mic's, I always toy with the idea of doing On And On by The Longpigs and saying beforehand

"Anyone heard of the Longpigs...? No...? OK, well I wrote this one earlier today..."

Plagiarism happens, thats why there's a word for it. If you have a bash at the chord progression G D Em C, that's pretty much in a third of all music that's out there, whether it be blues, rock, acoustic stuff, metal, piano, whatever. There's only so many ways you can mash chords together and at some point, shock horror, someone's going to find the same one someone else did.
I used the word 'and' in one of my songs once...

It's even in the same key as Thom Yorke sings it...

No-one's noticed yet
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.