I've looked at this guitar and it seems perfect for me..the reviews on musiciansfriend.com said it was great but i was wondering if anyone could help tell me if its good or if theres another ibanez under $750 thats better.Right now i have a gibson SG special with i dimebucker pickup. i want to get an ibanez because thats what i learned how to play on and after seeing hermen li from dragonforce hes convinced me to switch back.
Its a decision only you can make. Go to a guitar shop and try one out for yourself, its the only way you will ever know if its right for you.
I have the SZ520QMLBT. It's the SZ series instead of the S series, but they're basically the same. Mine was $500, and I love it to death. The range of different tones you can acheive with it is damn near amazing. Honestly, if you gave me a choice between my SZ or a Gibson Les Paul, I'd choose the SZ.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
S to SZ is like a Chevelle to a Chevette.

Keep in mind that S series is very thin, and will feel very different from your SG. The sound is also not as fat, despite that both are mahogany. Although, ZR tremolo on the S is a very good and stable bridge with a host of advantages (check my sig).

In the $750 range, you're getting close to an RG1570 which is also an amazing guitar, but that might be pushing over the $750 budget a bit.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Sep 7, 2006,
Quote by pifty
S to SZ is like a Chevelle to a Chevette.

Here's where I disagree.
1.---SZ looks much nicer.

2.---SZ isn't so goddamn thin. I feel like I'm gonna snap an S-series in half whenever I play one.

2.5---SZ is thicker, giving it a much warmer sound with a fatter bass to it.

3.---SZ is over $100 cheaper.
4.---SZ is over $100 cheaper.
5.---SZ is over $100 cheaper.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
SZ=No locking trem

Not sure if the threadstarter needs/wants one but i certainly do, and if you want cheapness why not get the regukar S470 its the same with out the fancy quilted top
S470 = AMAZING

Also, if your into Li, you'll love the ZR trem on the 470.... Never goes out of tune, ball bearings instead of knife edges......
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
This guy knows his S470

If you guys hadnt geussd I love the S470(DXQM) i can't wait to get mine, i spend nearly an hour playing it at the local guitar shop, i love it
Quote by musicianamedave
Here's where I disagree.

<snippity-snip>

Peace, mate, I wasn't knocking on SZ - I like them! Just saying SZ and S are completely different guitars, while you claimed them to be basically the same
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
try for an S470, and save a few hundred dollars.....its an excellent guitar. ive owned one for the past two years, and cant be happier with it. perfect feel, looks amazing,awesome tone... only thing is, youll need to change the pickups..stock ones arnt that great. i recommend emgs or maybe a dimebucker paired with an invader...thats up to you, but note that they will eventually have to be changed.
Quote by pifty
Peace, mate, I wasn't knocking on SZ - I like them! Just saying SZ and S are completely different guitars, while you claimed them to be basically the same

Maybe I wasn't exactly clear with the first post. By "basically the same" I didn't mean that there was about as much difference as there is between a 1997 Camaro and a 1998 Camaro.

I meant that there was about as much difference as there is between a Viper V12 and a Corvette Z06
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
Maybe I wasn't exactly clear with the first post. By "basically the same" I didn't mean that there was about as much difference as there is between a 1997 Camaro and a 1998 Camaro.

I meant that there was about as much difference as there is between a Viper V12 and a Corvette Z06

Ooh, so you want to go into cars. Well, for starters, Vipers always had a V10.

But think about it. SZ - set mahogany neck, thick heavy body, string-thru stoptails. S - maple bolt-on, floating tremolo, body so thin that the control cavity cover has to be non-recessed.

SZ outsustains S by half a day, but S has its aces - it's an incredibly capable shred guitar with its shape and tremolo. The only thing similar between them is that SZ originates from the S body shape, even though it has three times the mahogany of the S series.
S470 all the way. Replace the pickups and it sings like you wouldnt believe. Fantastic for the price.

And about the weight/size, I LOVE how thin and light it is, I can jump around and do what I like with it, and still play fine. Sits so snugly on your leg when sitting aswell.
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+