Ok, so i've been asked by my guitarist wheather i'd be cool with a gig at a charity event in about 2 months (i think). Now the problem is, we don't even have a handful of songs ready yet. Now i know from experience that pressure CAN pay off, but then again my experience was from a covers gig, this is original songs we have to create and then practice.

Basically he's saying that if we accept, it'll pressure us into getting our collective arses in gear, and open up the gigging horizon. But as i said, i'm never really comfortable unless i know im ready.

Plus with me starting year 13, him starting second year of uni, and our drummer starting first year of uni, we're wondering about practice time.

Any thoughts/opinions? Is it a good idea or a bad one you think?

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Hell no pressure isn't good for you. Pressure leads to stress, stress leads to burnout, burnout leads to breakdown and breakdown leads to bye-bye band.

I'm ****in' stressed beyond this week because of school and it's hell.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
get as much original stuff ready as possible then play a mix of original with some covers you are all comfortable with
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
pressure is only in your mind. if you accept, you know you have to get your arse in gear. now, you can view it as you are pressured to get your act together, or you can view it as motivation not to embarrass youself. even if you do feel pressure, that is a good thing. pressure keeps you ego down. pressure keeps you focused. motivation, on the other hand, also keeps down your ego, cause your not there, yet. IMO, motivation makes you work harder, and not just try and skate by. take it from someone who has played 1000+ crowds. take the opportunity.
I like the stress from gig related stuff. dont know why.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

But you're just the bassist you don't have to worry about anything and if you're a mediocre bassist you should basically be able to handle anything they throw at you, unless it's stuff written under Victor Wooten's standards then you're screwed. Also the whole writing process thing shouldn't be much of a problem if you just get off your ass and do it and even if you don't finish writing the songs it isn't a bad thing to fall back on a few covers.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by Stop Messin'
Hell no pressure isn't good for you. Pressure leads to stress, stress leads to burnout, burnout leads to breakdown and breakdown leads to bye-bye band.

I'm ****in' stressed beyond this week because of school and it's hell.

My band in a nutshell except for the bye-bye band part, I won't let that happen. Stress does not help at all.
Some pressure is good, i.e., the pressure that makes you want to practice more, but a lot of pressure could really wreck you. I think its a good idea to do the charity event. It will, as you said "put your collective arses in gear." The pressure might inspire some excellent originals.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
pressure doesnt exist

just bad playing =\

(flaming my self)

wtf pressure totally exists
meow :3