Alright, i thought it would be nice to know about inversions for different-sounding chords. The thing is, i dont know how inversions work. (ex. first inversion, second inversion, etc.)

Could somebody explain it based off the C major scale?
Like...Cmaj/E, what inversion would that be? and could somebody explain all or some of the inversions for it, and explain how they fit into songs and when would be the most logical time to use them? I'd like to know how to play progressive music better, and its not all single notes.

Thanks in advance

edit: changed annoying text color
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Sep 7, 2006,
What does the first post say? I don't see anything....?????
Correct me if I'm wrong; mind over matter works for me. If I don't mind; it don't matter.
well you need to know triads first of all
in C major, a C triad is made up of the first, third, and fifth scale degress
those notes would be C E and G
so that triad would be considered in root position
inverting a chord is just moving the voicings around
so for first inversion, the third (E), acts as the root
so your new chord would be E G C, your Cmajor/E chord
second inversion is doing the same again, making the fifth (G) now as the root
so your new chord is G C E
you can invert any chord in any key
hope that helps
From what I know an inversion is playing a chord with one of its notes as the bass instead of the root.

Basically its when you take one of the notes in a triad and make it the lowest note. For example, in the C chord you have the notes C E G, where C is the lowest note. If you play with the E as the lowest note. E G C, then you would call that 1st inversion. If you play it G C E, it would be called a second inversion. So in short, a first inversion is when you take the third of a chord, in this case E, and make it the lowest note. Play an open C chord, but play the open 6th string E and you have a 1st inversion. Second inversion is when you take the 5th of a chord and make it the lowest note. In this case it would be G. Play an open C chord but with your pinky fret the third fret on the 6th string E and play all those notes. This would be a 2nd inversion since you have the 5th on the top. As for the context, it is all up to you. You can substitute these in for a regular C chord since it is basically the same thing. To me it's just another C chord but with a different sound. However, it can be a different chord. The second inversion of C could also be like an Eminor6 chord without the 5th.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
basically the way i ended up understanding inversions in the end is like this....

lets take a C major chord it is composed of 3 notes, root (C), major 3rd (E) and it's fifth (G)

now take and place it based off of the major 3rd so it can be spelled E,C,G

the E is now emphasized which can make this either an E #5 add b4 (if i remember correctly) which contains the same notes as a C major or you can look at it as a inverted C major to make this

if this is a little odd lets look at a basic V chord

B5

D-4---
A-2---
E------

this contains the notes B and Gb/F# (B is second fret on the A string, Gb/F# is the 4th fret on the D string)

you can rearrange it to....

D---
A--2
E--2

which is also the same but is rooting on the 5th which changes the spelling to F#/Gb and B
you can further extend this to....

D--4
A--2
E--2

which even though you double the 5th emphasizes more on the B... there is a reason for it but right off the top of my head i cant remember, hope this helps
thanks to everybody who responded
except for the first posts (besides mine). Those sucked. But otherwise, thanks
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build