I've been playing for 4 years, almost 5, and I've went from **** to pretty damn good over the years. But the one thing that's begun to bug me is my fingers(fretting hand). I've played my way through 4 years and like most guitarists my ring and pinky finger moved together for a long time, i'm pretty well past that point. But in the last week or so I've begun to notice how retarded my pinky itself is, AND how my middle and ring finger STILL move together when performing multiple techniques... I'm going to Berklee Online to get my Masters Certificate in Music Production and Guitar, and music is going to be my life, but this problem will drive me INSANE if it will not go away.

Let me explain: When I fret with my pinky, it almost always has a tendancy to SNAP back after I release, and even when i'm doing a scale up the fretboard with my first 3 fingers my pinky is curled up pretty much all the way when i'm not using it. And as my good friend Derek(bodom_shredder7) has noticed(and has a rather fun time making fun of it), my 2nd and 3rd fingers aren't very indepenant when I try to do even simple warm-ups, but when playing songs, that problem doesn't really come into play often.

So my question is to anyone who's been playing for a number of years(preferably longer than 3 or 4): Have any of you encountered the same problem? If so, did you have to actually work those two problems specifically by using certain exercises or did you just get rid of the problem with years of playing and having the problem slowly fade away. Because I don't actually have problems playing to an extent, I don't want to spend another few months trying to correct a couple bad habits I've used in the last 4 years.

Again, it's not a hinderance, it's just a nuisance and I want to go away so I can focus on other things. But if I hear from others that they just played for a long time and it went away, that would make my week. Thanks.
This excercise might help you out... it's very tricky at first but (hopefully) you'll get used to it and can build up speed.

Go to a table or desk.

Put your hand on top of the desk, palm down.

Try to lift your thumb and middle finger off the table at the same time while the other 3 fingers remain on the table.

Put those fingers back on the table and now lift the index and ring finger off the table while the other 3 remain planted.

Finally, lift your middle and pinky off the table while the others are still planted.

Hopefully you can understand those instructions and get the idea. Just do that in your spare time and you will increase finger independace greatly.
I heard of that exersize way back in my first year of playing and I tried it out at school for like a month and to be honest I've seen no improvement... Also in the last month or so I've tried this exersize similarly on the fretboard: Place all 4 fingers about an 8th inch away from the 9th 10th 11th and 12th frets, push your pinky down on the 12th fret and try and keep all other fingers perfectly still, do it with all fingers. Blah blah blah.

But what I mean in the question is that has anyone else encountered this problem STILL after playing for many years, I really don't have the patience to sit down and practice getting those fingers(and my pinky problem) to move 100 percent indepenantly, I just need an opinion or hear of someone else's similar experiance. I know plenty of exersizes.
I always admired the way Petrucci has complete control over his hands when he plays. When I was first starting out I made sure when I played 2 note powerchords to lock my pinky next to my ring finger(I play 2 note powerchords with my index and pinky now but back then I didn't). Basically what I'm saying is, I was lucky enough to know what proper form was when I was starting playing because I admired JP's form.

However, you said it doesn't affect you playing so whats the big deal? If its purely cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to go O.C.D on it my only advice is to be absolutely concious about it while you're playing and make sure it goes where you want it. Eventually muscle memory will take over... it always does.

BTW, I've been playing just over 3 years I think.
The ring and little/pinky finger share a tendon, which is why people have difficulty moving one without moving the other. The index, middle finger and thumb all have their own tendons. You have to remember that playing a guitar puts the hand in a very unnatural position, and that fretting scales and such is a very dextrous action that evolution has never prepared us for.

Usually, time and training on guitar will solve it. If after four years, you're still having problems, though, I'm stumped.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 7, 2006,
Quote by CorkyMcDoogle

However, you said it doesn't affect you playing so whats the big deal? If its purely cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about it. .

Well, that's the thing, it doesn't affect my playing but in between, say, pull-offs or something(i'm tired so i'm not gonna tab out an example), I can feel my pinky snapping back and it's really un-comfortable while playing with my first 3 fingers.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?videos=404815&T=2029
That's my friend's old URL to some of his(and my)material. I'm in the "intrumentals" and the "Master of Puppets Interlude". I have the short hair(note, this was all done quite a while ago when i wasnt even serious about playing, haha, even derek sucked back then). But if you watch my pinky, you'll kinda see what i mean from time to time.
I think I know what your problem is.

Your hand is retarded. You should just send it to a special school for special hands and think of it as the best the hand could get. After the special school, if it still cant make it's own food and provide for itself then just run it over and say it was an accident.

Then start playing rock harmonica, you only need one hand. It will be hard at first, but believe me it will kick ass.
Quote by Carpmuncher
I think I know what your problem is.

Your hand is retarded. You should just send it to a special school for special hands and think of it as the best the hand could get. After the special school, if it still cant make it's own food and provide for itself then just run it over and say it was an accident.

Then start playing rock harmonica, you only need one hand. It will be hard at first, but believe me it will kick ass.

I'm not gonna lie, that **** made me laugh.
Quote by Caustic
The ring and little/pinky finger share a tendon, which is why people have difficulty moving one without moving the other.

I thought the ring and middle fingers shared a tendon. Either way, there's a shared tendon in the hand somewhere, so you'll never be able to move all 5 fingers independent of each other.
Quote by My_World_Ablaze
I've been playing for 4 years, almost 5, and I've went from **** to pretty damn good over the years. But the one thing that's begun to bug me is my fingers(fretting hand). I've played my way through 4 years and like most guitarists my ring and pinky finger moved together for a long time, i'm pretty well past that point. But in the last week or so I've begun to notice how retarded my pinky itself is, AND how my middle and ring finger STILL move together when performing multiple techniques... I'm going to Berklee Online to get my Masters Certificate in Music Production and Guitar, and music is going to be my life, but this problem will drive me INSANE if it will not go away.

Let me explain: When I fret with my pinky, it almost always has a tendancy to SNAP back after I release, and even when i'm doing a scale up the fretboard with my first 3 fingers my pinky is curled up pretty much all the way when i'm not using it. And as my good friend Derek(bodom_shredder7) has noticed(and has a rather fun time making fun of it), my 2nd and 3rd fingers aren't very indepenant when I try to do even simple warm-ups, but when playing songs, that problem doesn't really come into play often.

So my question is to anyone who's been playing for a number of years(preferably longer than 3 or 4): Have any of you encountered the same problem? If so, did you have to actually work those two problems specifically by using certain exercises or did you just get rid of the problem with years of playing and having the problem slowly fade away. Because I don't actually have problems playing to an extent, I don't want to spend another few months trying to correct a couple bad habits I've used in the last 4 years.

Again, it's not a hinderance, it's just a nuisance and I want to go away so I can focus on other things. But if I hear from others that they just played for a long time and it went away, that would make my week. Thanks.

yea i had sort of the same problem. for the first 2 or 3 years that i played i couldnt solo becasue my picky always curled up. and sometime i would have it curled up so tight that it would start to get sore within like a 20 min period so one day i got fed up and taped a thin popsicle stick to the top of my finger therefor makeing it imposible for it to curl up and played like that for like 2-3 weeks and eventually it just started to stay there on its own.
Dude! i know exactly what you mean i have this too. My pinkys are sort of double jointed, so sometimes my pinky would snap and have no control and just be ****.

it is almost gone now for me, and i have been only playing for less than a year.
put your fingers all straight up, thumb sticking out, and then with your other hand slide fingers down in between your middle finger and ring finger, so you look like mr. spock. then you can give up guitar and go punt a baby and when the parent frantically asks you why you did it, just reply with "long live and prosper"

but seriously, do the mr spock thing untill you can do it without your other hand, and then try learning to switch from spock (index+middle space ring+pinky), to (index space middle+ring space pinky) that should help out alot
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
wow, i feel mentally retarded for saying that phrase wrong. my computer was just like "im lealous of him, i'll swith 2 words around and make him look retarded"

hmmm, if i touch the power butto...
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)