I've been deciding on certain Fender guitars..

Should I choose the maple or rosewood fingerboard? Not for the looks, but for the feel.. or are they both smooth playablility?

Also, the Fender's i'm debating on is this:

Fender® American Series Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Series-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=515116

Probably going for the Chrome Silver with the black pickguard, but there are 2 options, and like I said, there's maple and rosewood.

If there was a major difference, what would it be?

I've also never thought the difference of the "shaped" necks... there's C, V, and all that. What's the diff?
The only way to tell what you want is to go to guitar center and try out both.
I prefer rosewood, but that's just me. it depends on the player
i think the yellow one looks MUCH better. sorry thats all i can help with
maple fretboards have a brighter tone than rosewood. and the "c" and "v" is like the different shape of the back of the neck. i cant describe them exactly, but there are some sites. maybe someone will post here that knows one. oh i just though of one. try www.warmoth.com and look at the necks. im pretty sure it shows the different shapes.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Tonewise it barely makes a differnce, it realy doesnt even matter for playibility either just maple wears down after a while, giving it that vintagee look that some like and some dont. I like maple more just because of looks.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
maple fretboards have a brighter tone than rosewood. and the "c" and "v" is like the different shape of the back of the neck. i cant describe them exactly, but there are some sites. maybe someone will post here that knows one. oh i just though of one. try www.warmoth.com and look at the necks. im pretty sure it shows the different shapes.

Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
I've used both and I have really noticed very little difference in tone or playability. However maple is a bitch to keep clean and it costs more to get re-fretted, so I always see a rosewood fretboard as a preference.
I the look of a maple fretboard Fender.

I'd stick with the American over the Deluxe. Unless abalone inlays and birdseye maple is your thing...
id get the american in silver with the rosewood fretboard, but its really a personal preference.. but like that other guy said, maple fretboards tend to hold more dirt than rosewood, i believe
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
IMO, rosewood fenders are not fenders at all. I will always go with a maple fretboard on a fender. Also, about neck shapes, I really like the feel of the "C" shaped neck. Nice and thin, but definately not a Wizard II. Very playable.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)