E||-------||
B||-------||
G||-------||
D||--4----||
A||--4----||
E||--2----||

You can use that shape on any fret and it'll be a powerchord.
Quote by CorkyMcDoogle

E||-------||
B||-------||
G||-------||
D||--4----||
A||--4----||
E||--2----||

You can use that shape on any fret and it'll be a powerchord.

Plus the fret below it, and you can remove the 2nd 4 too
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
What those two said; plus it is quintessential for rock. That is all.

E||-------||
B||--5----||
G||--4----||
D||--2----||
A||-------||
E||-------||

That's the universal shape for D string powerchords...
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by Johnljones7443
A powerchord is a harmonic interval of a perfect fifth.

If he doen't know what a powerchord is, how the hell is he going to know what the harmonic interval of a perfect 5th is!

Use a bit of common sence and use Laymen's terms.
Dave Tither
Wow, yeah, that's basically it. I take it you just started playing guitar? The powerchord is usually the first thing you learn and some basic chords like C,A,G,E,D otherwise known as the CAGED chords for obvious reasons.

That's basically how i started and to tell you the truth i really still don't know much more than that.

Just fool around with the powerchords for awhile. I think punk rock is the funnest to play. Classic Ramones, Misfits, Screeching Weasel ofcourse that might not be your thing but basically just know a power chord consists of a root and a fifth and the octave is optional but makes it sound fuller.
Quote by Dave2210
If he doen't know what a powerchord is, how the hell is he going to know what the harmonic interval of a perfect 5th is!

Use a bit of common sence and use Laymen's terms.

Well, you know.. a simple search on Google would tell him what a perfect fifth interval is.

He asked what a powerchord is, not what a powerchord looked like.

Keep your hair on mate.
If you've heard The Offspring or Green Day, they use power chords ALL the time
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by andrew12398
If you've heard The Offspring or Green Day, they use power chords ALL the time

They over use them.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true