Hello,

Why Can't That Be Me?
www.myspace.com/tenfeetsmall

I'm just looking for ideas on how to improve this song as it's not cutting it for me and I don't know why. It was recorded at home using synth drums and bass from a Yamaha MIDI sound plugin, all compiled in Cakewalk's SONAR, and everything else was recorded using an SM57 instrument mic. I'd like to know how I could improve my mixing of the song too, and miking of the instruments/amps, etc.

Please try and keep in mind this is our first song and like most bands first songs its a bit of a clash of ideas. Also, we're a young ska band, so if you don't like amateur 3rd wave ska then please don't be harsh about it. Er and the trombonist isn't very good anyway so there's not much point in saying anything about that, and vocals have agreeably not had much effort put in. Just saying this so I can hear your opinions on the things I don't know about already!

I don't really know why I posted this on a guitar forum but I guess there aren't many other places to post it!

Thank you!!!
ahhhh!
I think the trombone is too overpowering but thats just me.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
Agreed, I didn't know what to do with it because it didn't sound right in the first place.
ahhhh!
A) turn it down(kinda obvious)
B) try using a condenser mike for the trombone
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
Liking the intro, good picked guitar. Nice tone aswell, and the rhythm is very tight. Drums could be given a bit more oomph (if you know what I mean), and the trombone definately sounds a bit weird, but good bass line, and sounds like a well constructed song, trumpet is brilliant. A personally quite like the vocals, sound quite punky....I've heard a lot worse...

Crit back?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428090

Cheers!
Quote by Rodders
Liking the intro, good picked guitar. Nice tone aswell, and the rhythm is very tight. Drums could be given a bit more oomph (if you know what I mean), and the trombone definately sounds a bit weird, but good bass line, and sounds like a well constructed song, trumpet is brilliant. A personally quite like the vocals, sound quite punky....I've heard a lot worse...

Crit back?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428090

Cheers!

Thanks for the positive response!

Unfortunately I'm stuck with MIDI drums, so unless you have any ideas, I'm stuck with horrible sounding drums.
ahhhh!
Catchy, and funny, i like it. Nice hook. But the trombone does sound out of tune and out of place with the rest of the band. Also, the vocals work on the verses, but need a bit of work on the chrous. maybe you can get everyone yelling in the chorus or something.