im looking to buy a microphone, can anyone recomend a model and tell me how much it costs? I was also wondering how much a mike-stand costs and if i could plug the mike into a cheap guitar amp?
"And Whamo! Your stuck with some boring job, and they dont let you play guitar and they dont let you take pictures of naked women"
-Homer Simpson
It'll sound like crap in a guitar amp. I know for a fact that you cant even hear it out of a ten watt. I think radio shack would be a fair bet. I dont know much about mics.
You need to nail down a couple of things first.

1. What will you use it for - live or recording?
2. If you go with a condensor mic, consider that you will need a phantom power source for whatever you plug it into. A guitar amp will *not* have that, guaranteed.
3. If it is for live, does it need to be hand-held, or is keeping it on a stand acceptable?

Aside from that, though....

Live - Shure SM57. Preferred would be Sennheiser e835. I have one of those and really like it, and use it for live vox all the time. Compared to those two mics, the ubiquitous SM58 sounds like singing through wet moving blankets. Being a dynamic mic, it can be plugged into practically any mixer on the planet and get decent results.

Recording - I prefer condensors, but have had reasonable success with dynamics for vocals. Check out some of the Marshall (no, not the same company that makes amps) - I think the MXL67 or something (?). Alternately, check out AKG or Rode mics and you won't break the bank. You'll need phantom power, though, as I said, and a stand that won't fall over.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
if running the mic into a cheap guitar amp just to do vocals at band practice, i would just consider getting a cheap kareoke mic from some place like radio shack or best buy. shouldnt run you more than $20, but its not going to sound good (which doesnt matter cause you are running into a cheap guitar amp).

now, if you want to have a good quality mic for live vocals (practice or gig) then i would suggest the shure sm58 ($100). there are better mics out there, but this one is very usable and gives a pretty good sound. ive tried one out and it seemed good enough, and my room mates band uses one for their live vocals, and they usually use good stuff. i will say that i dont have a ton of experience with dynamic vocal mics, so there probably are others out there to try. i know Bill reviewed a Samson - Q7 Cardioid Dynamic Microphone here and says it was really good, so check on that one too ($90).

those should give you a couple general ideas on things to try. if you want mics for recording or something other than vocals, then i can give you some suggestions there as well.
Sennheiser e835>SM57>SM58

and they're all about the same price.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.