Page 1 of 2
i just got a new fender strat

i have been playing for about a yr and a half

so i was like checking some videos out on youtube and the guys play arpeggios so fast and even leads

my real question

DOES NOT HAVING A DISTORTION PEDAL HANDICAP YOUR SPEED ON THE GUITAR ???

for playing leads and solo's ??

thanks
Nope. The gear you use will not hinder your playing ability whatsoever.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
People tend to use alot of distortion to cover up mistakes.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
^ yeah, so not having a distortion pedal may actually help you. if you cant cover up your mistakes, you learn not to make mistakes. that improves your playing in the long run.
You can use distortion, but it would be better to practice with it cut down more. With too much, you could suck at soloing and not even know it.
Quote by ShredtoBed
Dude.
The gore of killing animals is supposed to scare you out of eating meat.
That and drop Q tuning with pig squeels

giving a beginner a distortion pedal is like giving a little kid a 20 pound bowling ball. a heavy ball may be good for a pro, but if you don't have the skill and the strength to handle it, it will be useless to you and you'll just embarass yourself.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

So Where Can I Get Some Tips To Become Faster At Solo's

And Second I Never Learnt Guitar From Anywhere So Where Can I Learn How To Make Up My Solos And Licks ? Like Really Good Ones ???
^^that is absolute bull****.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
dude you missunderstood i meant that i have not learned guitar the way most ppl here learn like you know the theory and then then they get to learning

i learnt from a few books and my freind who moved to melbourne so i just wanted to know where can i get info on how to play some nice solo's and how to improve my speed and tips ???
wtf, why would you play electric without an amp its like driving without an engine, its alright if your only practising scales but u need the amp to hear mistakes better
@ Mr. 37

playing fast all the time isnt usually a good idea, but giving short bursts of speed here and there can be good

@ ch715dallat

good for training your ears. that or he might not want to wake other ppl up or something. dont be a jackass.

@ thread starter guy

use the distortion that fits with what ur playing... just dont overdo it...

@ The Master Plan

altho i dont dissagree entirely, i reverb and delay can make your mistakes even MORE apparent...
"A one that is not cold is barely a one at all!"
thats all good but is their anyway

look i have only one probelm i want to be more flueint and have more speed /acuracy is their any set practise i can do everyday to help me improve my speed and acuracy or is their any site that can help me

does a bad amp have anything to do with this

since i now know that distortion is not a reason for me to slowdown
Quote by tankbusta
thats all good but is their anyway

look i have only one probelm i want to be more flueint and have more speed /acuracy is their any set practise i can do everyday to help me improve my speed and acuracy or is their any site that can help me

does a bad amp have anything to do with this

since i now know that distortion is not a reason for me to slowdown

Before you do ANYTHING buy a metronome.

Practice scales at a slow enough speed so that you can play it PERFECTLY, however slow it is. It will seem very tedious at first, but if you stick at it your accuracy will improve, in turn your speed will improve.
Having good amps, effects, etc don't make you faster, i'm not quite sure why you'd think it would.

Get a metronome, practice going up and down scales slowly until you can do it perfectly, and gradually increase the speed. fast players like Vai, Gilbert, Malmsteen etc all practiced 5+ hours a day, so dont' expect it to come fast.
Quote by T_R_A_P_T
Am I the only person who practises electric without the amp ?

I do it too
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by T_R_A_P_T

I do sometimes. Mostly if I practice scales an stuff like that, warm up exercises, or if I just happen to pick up the guitar to play a few minutes, etc.
Quote by Revelations
Before you do ANYTHING buy a metronome.

Practice scales at a slow enough speed so that you can play it PERFECTLY, however slow it is. It will seem very tedious at first, but if you stick at it your accuracy will improve, in turn your speed will improve.

Am I the only person in the world who can play in time and didn't use a metronome until they wanted to learn time signatures other than 4/4? 'coz I really doubt that I'm exceptionally gifted or anything...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
When you sound good you could psychologically believe that you sound better and play better. In reality it'll just be the added confidence that allows you to do so.

You can play anything without effects ( almost ). Distortion would make you believe you're playing better ( as it sounds better ) but playing clean should be what you're doing with exercises and technique.
I don't know what you guys are talkign about. Whenever i have my distortion pedal on i can clearly hear my mistakes.
Quote by T_R_A_P_T

I haven't played with an amp for ages.

Quote by Spamwise
I don't know what you guys are talkign about. Whenever i have my distortion pedal on i can clearly hear my mistakes..

Or so you think, anyway.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Spamwise
I don't know what you guys are talkign about. Whenever i have my distortion pedal on i can clearly hear my mistakes.

what effects?
i play my electric without running it thru my amp for the purposes of hearing my mistakes so i know what to work on, distortion just covers up sloppy playing, listen to dimebag, then listen to you and if you are playing sloppy you'll notice the difference instantly
Quote by S_C_L-1
what effects?

Just distortion. I don't over do it though, so maybe that's why.

Or so you think, anyway.

Yeah, I do. I'm not a n00b.
Quote by T_R_A_P_T

I'll be your co pilot on that one.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by Spamwise

Yeah, I do. I'm not a n00b.

You don't have to be.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
You don't have to be.

Well, i think it's easier for noobs to miss mistakes.
Quote by Spamwise

unless they have low self esteem or are perfectionists
Quote by Spamwise

Oh yeah, obviously. I'm just saying there's always technical errors to be found.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Oh yeah, obviously. I'm just saying there's always technical errors to be found.

Probably. I don't play shred though with distortion, so maybe that's why. I'm just saying when i hit a wrong note it's obvious.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Am I the only person in the world who can play in time and didn't use a metronome until they wanted to learn time signatures other than 4/4? 'coz I really doubt that I'm exceptionally gifted or anything...

i completly agree..ive always played in time...but yeah other then 4/4 and 2/4 and 3/4 and 6/8 .. thats where i used a metronome..eg 9/8 or 7/8
i doubt you are perfectly in time. in fact, i can almost guarentee that you are speeding up at least slightly. try this: put on a song you can play perfectly in time. play about 30 seconds of it with the recording, then have someone mute it as you play. have them turn it back on a minute later. im pretty sure you wont have stayed perfectly in time and wont be exactly with the recording. its very hard to stay perfect as humans have a natural tendency to speed up, which is even evident if you listen to a baby crying. i consider myself to have pretty good ability to stay in time, but i definatly dont say i can play completly in time without some sort of refrence beat.
Quote by Panasonic Youth
You can use distortion, but it would be better to practice with it cut down more. With too much, you could suck at soloing and not even know it.

yeah like both guitarists of dragonforce hahahahahaha

Did you see there lesson on ON DEMAND??

They mess up like 90000 times.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
When you sound good you could psychologically believe that you sound better and play better. In reality it'll just be the added confidence that allows you to do so.

You can play anything without effects ( almost ). Distortion would make you believe you're playing better ( as it sounds better ) but playing clean should be what you're doing with exercises and technique.

The solution to this problem is buy an acoustic.
Then theirs no distortion to use.

Acoustic>Distortion
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

try workshop live.

speed pick
play this fast

e|-----------------------------------------------
b|-----------------------------------------------
g|------------789p8p7h9p8p7h10p9p7---
D|------789------------------------------------
A|-789-----------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------
most of the time, unless no one is home and i want to crank up and play, im just too lazy to even plug in my guitar.
for speed, i always do this little thing before i play where i use each finger on its particular fret, and play with every combination of fingers possible. like ill play with index and middle, then index and ring, pinky, etc. then middle and ring, middle and pinky, then index middle ring, then middle ring pinky, then index middle pinky, etc. then ill do all four. ill do each one until i have it at a good speed comfortably without mistakes. then ill do the same thing, but backwards, like playing from right to left up the frets instead of left to right. ive yet to see if it actually helps speed, but it sure warms me up well.
Page 1 of 2