Ok, so i'm writing in the key of g major. and well, it has an f#. so i'm trying to find the f# chord that fits into the key of gmaj. and i got 1-3#-5#. since the formula is 1,3,5, i got F#-Ab-Cb. and the Ab-Cb don't fit into the key, so i had to sharpen them both. so that's how i got the 1-3#-5#. what kind of chord is this? i'm kind of new at theory, and i am writing my first song, but i couldn't figure out what chord this is. Also, i understand that the vii chord is going to be diminished, that's why i'm so confused, because in order for me to have gotten F#-a-c, i had to sharpen the A and the C. which gives me the formula 1-3#-5#. <<< so how come i got that? if i'm totally wrong and messed up, tell me. haha. :]
Last edited by Nautaflcl at Sep 7, 2006,
The vii chord in any major or minor key, without using any chromaticism (notes not in the scale), is going to be a diminished chord. So to keep with the key signature of Gmaj, the f# chord will be f#-a-c. Diminished chords are not used to often in rock music, so you may have a more difficult time using it correctly. But if done right dimished chords can work really well. Just remember that the f# is the leading tone in Gmaj, and 99% of the time is going to want to resolve to the G.
Oh and if you're in G major play 1-#3-#5.....you're really just playing an inverted Bb minor chord, which can be interpreted chordally in a lot of different senses, depending on resolution, preparation, etc.
you wrote that in a really confusing way...the only thing i got from that was that you have a chord that's F#-Ab-Cb, which should be F#-G#-B. Im terrible at forming chords, but my guess is G13?

Im miles away from correct, i know
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm

Here's some chord formulas for furture reference

EDIT: Umm could you please re-explain that please? You had to sharpen both notes because F# wasn't in the key of G major?

Let's form this chord step by step:

Take the F# major scale:

F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

So you would take the 1 3 and 5 degrees...

F# A# C#

Then you flatten them to make them correspond to the G major scale:

F# A C

F# diminished!

The chords in each major key follow a certain pattern. In G major, these are the chords.

G major
A minor
B minor
C major
D major
E minor
F# diminished

Notice the major minor minor major etc. pattern.

Here's a good lesson...What Chords are in What Key and Why?

V Oh, that's way more simple, thanks, John!
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Sep 8, 2006,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Take the F# major scale:

F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

So you would take the 1 3 and 5 degrees...

F# A# C#

Then you flatten them to make them correspond to the G major scale:

F# A C

F# diminished!

That.. or just used thirds, lol.

G - A - B - C - D - E - [B]F#[/B] - G - [B]A[/B] - B - [B]C[/B] - D... etc