For the past few weeks I've become very interested in diy stuff for guitars, especially amps and effects. Has anybody here built an amp head before? I've started to save some money and have been thinking of doing it. If anybody has, do you have any advice? I've been looking at Marshall and Mesa Boogie schematics for the project. I want it to be at least 100W output into an 8 ohm cabinet.
Yep, I have. I've built one from scratch, and I've done extensive work and tweaking on my 1968 Fender Bassman. It was a great project...You can pick up a Silverface Bassman for 400 or so, and then do simple tweaks to the preamp and poweramp to get way more gain out of it. That's basically what a Marshall/Boogie is...a hotrodded Bassman.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
My advice: plan everything out, twice. And when you get all your parts, plan everything out again. But it should be pretty easy, especially for marshalls, they have plenty of layouts and diagrams available online.

Also, you might want to reconsider 100w, after all, it's only twice as loud as a 10w right?
I wanted to do 100W just because I wanted to make a half stack out of it. I'm going to build a slant cab to go with it. Thanks for the advice! This is going to be fun.
Quote by hokiecmo
For the past few weeks I've become very interested in diy stuff for guitars, especially amps and effects. Has anybody here built an amp head before? I've started to save some money and have been thinking of doing it. If anybody has, do you have any advice? I've been looking at Marshall and Mesa Boogie schematics for the project. I want it to be at least 100W output into an 8 ohm cabinet.

Don't go for a mesa style amp for a first build, it'll squeal like a pig if you get the wires in the wrong place. Good lead dress comes with practise.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details