I know that you can use any notes over any chord but some of them dont sound too good. Is there a guideline as to which notes are the most effective over each chord when writing a melody.

heres an example. which notes should I use for a melody over each chord?

E, F#m, A, B (I ii IV V)
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" -Mike Tyson
Last edited by vanstuben at Sep 8, 2006,
E major scale and it's modes are what I can think of at the moment.

You can also follow each chord. This widens the possibilities greatly.

Over E, E major and it's modes
Over F# minor, A major or it's modes
Over A, A major and it's modes.
Over B, B major and it's modes.
careful when writing out progressions, you want to write minor chords as lower case roman numerals. so your progression is I ii IV V.

for what goes well over the chords, the simplest answer is the notes in the chords. then look for the notes in the other chords that fit well with that chord. thats probably the simplest way to do it. you can also look and see what scale fits best over the whole progression and use that. or you can find scales that sound good over each particular chord and change scales with each chord change, but this is more important when dealing with extensions and alterations.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
E major scale and it's modes are what I can think of at the moment.

You can also follow each chord. This widens the possibilities greatly.

Over E, E major and it's modes
Over F# minor, A major or it's modes
Over A, A major and it's modes.
Over B, B major and it's modes.

Ive heard of using a different scale over each chord but Ive never understood how it works. If I played an A# over the B chord then that would be a b5 of the E major scale but a 7th over the B chord. Would the ear hear that as being ok because of the context in which you are using it? I think Im starting to understand it.
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" -Mike Tyson
So would a melody note be heard in relation to the key (E major) or the current chord being played (B major chord) ????