OK so Im going running through what I know about theory and decide to go to musictheory.net and view the chord calculator.

Er...
N6
Gr6
It6
Fr6
Sw6

now I know N6 is the neopolitan 6th... but what's with the Gr It Fr Sw (and do they stand for German Italian French and Swedish or am I crazy for somehow assuming that) 6 chords? What are they and what context can they be used in?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
N6 = Neapolitan 6th: There's a thread on that

It6 = Italian 6th: b6 - 1 - #4.

This functions as a resolution to the V as far as I know, #4 up to 5 and b6 down to 5.

Gr6 = German 6th: It6 + b3 = b6 - 1 - b3 - #4.

You can probably use it in the same context as an It6, but.. you won't see it as often.

Fr6 = French 6th: It6 + 2 = b6 - 1 - 2 - #4

I've only used it to resolve to V, and to resolve to the bii, the neapolitan 6th.

That's all I personally know without studying them further which I'm yet to do, sorry. Never even heard of the Swedish 6th
No I know all about the neopolitan 6th, I used it fluently in my music theory final last year; but I hadn't even heard of Italian German French or Swedish and saw that and was like "que?"

because sometimes I ask questions in Spanish.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I've only heard of the Neapolitan, Italian, German and French - and really seldom use them. Last year in college we studied the baroque, classical and romantic era as part of the course, and those we're prominent with people like Beethoven, Scriabin and so forth.

I've only really ever used the Neapolitan in the context of writing a song and really I only know bits and bobs of the theory of some of the others to be honest... more or less what I said above which is what I remember from a year or two back.

^Never thought to look it up on Wiki, still no mention of the Sw6 though
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 8, 2006,
Or the english 6th. IIRC they're French/German, respectively, resolving directly to the tonic instead of the dominant.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club