ok so me and my friend are building an SG styled guitar for the science fair. we're just building a regular SG with some Gibson 490R and 498T pickups. I would come over to his house once during weekdays and almost all my time on weekends to work on it. I've got till like January i think. Is that long enough?
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
yeah thats probably long enough. Although i havent ever made one myself.

Considering you will be working on it most weekends and once after school, and he might do some work himself it shouldnt take till january, you have plenty of time.
Quote by Molsons Golden
How long is a piece of string?

2.5 inches everyone knows that
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by Toms' anominous
2.5 inches everyone knows that

i didnt know that

you should b able to do it. it took me about 120 hours to do mine (over the course of a year and a half)
Last edited by mutated_riff at Sep 8, 2006,
^neither did i. . .

anyways, how fast do you guys work? have you done stuff like this before? its kinda hard to really say because my first guitar will be alot slower than the rest. but 4 months for a first guitar working less than 10 hours a week on may be a bit tricky.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
my friend's extremely good at wood working and wiring. in fact he built a guest house in his backyard with all the plumbing and stuff (with some help, but he still did it!). he's built skimboards that work beautifully and stuff like that. he only needs a router. i dont think either of us want to spend much on this. i figure the wood is like 100 and the pickups are about 75 for both on ebay. other stuff is pretty cheap right?
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
the quickest guitar i ever made (and im a pro with all the special tools, templates, and heaps of guitars behind me) took 48 hours, over 4 weeks. Thats from wood being selected, to delivery at the recording studio. Bolt-on floyd rose style.

I run guitar making courses, and the guys have access to all my machinery and templates, and they take around 80-100 hours, with me helping out with some of the harder stuff. These guys build simple bolt-on fendery style guitars, not set neck gibson style with neck angles etc.

I dont care how many houses your mate has built, its a totally different ball game. I can say this because i used to build houses, and was a cabinet maker after that. Guitar making is a lot more fiddly, a lot more precise, etc. One mistake and your stuffed (neck alignment, angle, glue joints). However, make a room half a foot smaller than it should be and it 'doesnt matter mate!'.

One day, plus a weekend for a month? No experience? No router? Id say you will struggle. But, im happy to be proven wrong.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by _Sanitarium_
how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

none
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
i'm curently making a guitar and its turning out well and so far 1 week
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by ormsby guitars
the quickest guitar i ever made (and im a pro with all the special tools, templates, and heaps of guitars behind me) took 48 hours, over 4 weeks. Thats from wood being selected, to delivery at the recording studio. Bolt-on floyd rose style.

I run guitar making courses, and the guys have access to all my machinery and templates, and they take around 80-100 hours, with me helping out with some of the harder stuff. These guys build simple bolt-on fendery style guitars, not set neck gibson style with neck angles etc.

I dont care how many houses your mate has built, its a totally different ball game. I can say this because i used to build houses, and was a cabinet maker after that. Guitar making is a lot more fiddly, a lot more precise, etc. One mistake and your stuffed (neck alignment, angle, glue joints). However, make a room half a foot smaller than it should be and it 'doesnt matter mate!'.

One day, plus a weekend for a month? No experience? No router? Id say you will struggle. But, im happy to be proven wrong.

whens your next one?
sweet, maybe i shall check it out one time. maybe next year some time i wanna build one. oh yeh can it have a floyd rose bridge as well or is it too much of a hassle