I wasnt planning on doing this but I have to. I went through all the sticky's and could'nt find any sticky explaining GAIN. I have mainly played acoustic guitar for a long time unplugged and only recently bought a amp. N i want to know in detail what exactly does gain do.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Gain is the "power" of the sound. The less gain you have, the less powerful the sound is going to be, the more gain, the more powerful it will sound.
Gain in technical terms is the amplification power. However nowadays, it's got a different meaning too. In old tube amps, if you increased the gain you'd get distortion. The term gain has become synonymous with distortion by now. Many Fender amps have the distortion/overdive knob labelled as "gain."
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by LanceSnyder
Gain is the "power" of the sound. The less gain you have, the less powerful the sound is going to be, the more gain, the more powerful it will sound.

...what?

Gain is a clean signal being broken up (like pink said: by today's terms). Its the same thing as distortion. Or in some cases 'Sustain'.
Quote by Metalcomesfirst
im sorry to inform you, maker of this thread, but you are pretty retarded

Hmm lemme think about that for a second.

Yup. Youre a jack ass.

Quote by Metalcomesfirst
what do you think of the Marshall AVT50HX 50 Watt Amp Head?????
??

Quote by Metalcomesfirst
i just want which is the best out of these three. that doesn't me give me a bunch of bull crap about how i should save up my money and by a frickin tube amp. thats good advice, i know, but considering that im about 3 seconds away from throwing my crate amp out the window, i really cant wait. so just give me your best opinion on which of these i should choose, and that would be great.

Behringer GMX1200H V-Tone Analog Modeling Guitar Amplifier Head
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHGMX1200H

Line 6 Spider II HD75 Guitar Head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...58&src=3SOSWXXA

Fender FM100H Guitar Amplifier Head (100 Watts)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2317000000

Quote by Metalcomesfirst
im wondering what the best amp head you can buy for two hundred bucks is. i play mostly blues rock influenced metal on my gibson les paul studio. ive been looking at some brands but i really dont know. behringer, line 6, fender?

Quote by Metalcomesfirst
i play blues rock influenced metal and i was wondering if anyone knew of a good heavy metal type guitar head. i was considering bbuying a line 6 spider 2 head and running it through a marshall cab, but when i told them, they flipped out like someone had hit them in the head with a bat and insisted that i not buy it. the only problem is i didnt get any better suggestions, which is why i made this thread. please help!!!!!

Quote by Metalcomesfirst
doyou know a distortion pedal that sounds most like the line 6 amp metal setting?

Quote by Metalcomesfirst

i am looking to buy a spider 2 line 6 amp head but im an idiot when it comes to stacks because i only have a practice amp. i was wondering if you could run any cabinet you want through any amp head. if so, does anyone have an opinion on the spider 2 being run through a marshall cab? (when i say opion i mean do you think it would sound good). please help me i am stuupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much sums it up.
postwned
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
OWNED!!!!!!

Gain is the signal strength feeding into either the preamp or power amp (not sure which it is) basically the signal that comes out of your guitar is pretty low, by adding gain your buffering that signal and incerasing it's strength (measured either in decibal or k's output). I think in more modern amp gain is basically just increasing the signal strenght before getting it to the preamp, which are lil tubes that distort under pressure and then that signal gets fed to the poweramp, an overdrive will increase the gain of your guitars signal, and clip it a bit, so that the preamp tubes distort faster.
Marty
Quote by kurdtkobaign

Yup. Youre a jack ass.

Pretty much sums it up.

I love you.

Haha.

And in simple terms, gain is basically distortion.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Originally Posted by Metalcomesfirst
doyou know a distortion pedal that sounds most like the line 6 amp metal setting?

That ones my favourite
Marty
kurdtkobaign, you are my hero.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by kurdtkobaign

Yup. Youre a jack ass.

Pretty much sums it up.

As a veteran of pwning noobs in such a fashion, I grant you my seal of approval for your pwnage.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
As a veteran of pwning noobs in such a fashion, I grant you my seal of approval for your pwnage.

where's the seal?
Lmao, Metalcomesfirst got pwnt.
And he also got warned!

What a n00b!

I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by suicidalmoose
OWNED!!!!!!

Gain is the signal strength feeding into either the preamp or power amp (not sure which it is) basically the signal that comes out of your guitar is pretty low, by adding gain your buffering that signal and incerasing it's strength (measured either in decibal or k's output). I think in more modern amp gain is basically just increasing the signal strenght before getting it to the preamp, which are lil tubes that distort under pressure and then that signal gets fed to the poweramp, an overdrive will increase the gain of your guitars signal, and clip it a bit, so that the preamp tubes distort faster.

On a multi-channel amp, gain controls the power saturation of the preamp tubes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ok u guys have been a gr8 help.
Metalcomesfirst got pwned so bad man! L-O-L

See the reason for this thread is bcoz I hacve learnt everything on the acoustic guitar only. Reason being I cant afford a decent electric guitar. I never had any knwledge of amps. I just purchased a micro cube to which I connect my acoustic f-cut with my external pickup(transducer). I get confused with gain, the moment I put it up it creates feedback. The manual says gain is the sensitivity of the guitar cord jacks.

Another reason being: THERE IS NO STICKY FOR GAIN!!!!!!

Im clearer now, I guess I'll be more clearer with experience.

edit: Thanks to Sanitarium as well!
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Last edited by invincibleneo at Sep 8, 2006,
Quote by invincibleneo
Ok u guys have been a gr8 help.
Metalcomesfirst got pwned so bad man! L-O-L

See the reason for this thread is bcoz I hacve learnt everything on the acoustic guitar only. Reason being I cant afford a decent electric guitar. I never had any knwledge of amps. I just purchased a micro cube to which I connect my acoustic f-cut with my external pickup(transducer). I get confused with gain, the moment I put it up it creates feedback. The manual says gain is the sensitivity of the guitar cord jacks.

Another reason being: THERE IS NO STICKY FOR GAIN!!!!!!

Im clearer now, I guess I'll be more clearer with experience.

Acoustics don't handle gain well. Their hollow bodies make them very prone to feed back. The only way to stifle that is to stuff the body with polyfill or t-shirts or something along those lines. But you'll still have that problem with anything over a bluesy clip.
Hi, I'm Peter
dude i feel really stupid and yes, i will NEVER live those line 6 spider threads down till i die. congratulations for catching me being an asshole haha. one question though............
howd you find every single one of those old blogs???
^LOL YOU REVIVED YOUR OWN PWNED THREAD LOLOLOLOLOL.

erm. Sorry, but I found it quite funny.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Closez0rted
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure