I loaded up my copy of Guitar Pro 4 last night and set about learning Stairway to Heaven. Im presuming the tab on GP4 and the tab on this site are similar.

I noticed the first few lines of notes ( the only bit ive learnt at the mo ) has sections where you need to play two notes at the same time e.g 7&6, 2&4 but always on different strings and different frets.

Are you supposed to pick one and play the other with a different finger? Or are you supposed to just try to mute the rest of the strings?

Ive been picking a note and finger picking the second note at the same time which sounds good to me but i would like to know if this was the correct method.

Also theres a section like the one above but you have to pick three notes at the same time - some strings have to be played open - im finding this section more difficult.

Thanks

Adam
i always use my pick to play the root note and middle finger to play the higher note.

Quote by AdamC
Also theres a section like the one above but you have to pick three notes at the same time - some strings have to be played open - im finding this section more difficult.

at those bits where you have to play three notes at once i usually just place the whole chord, but if you don't want to do that you can use your pick too play the root note and middle and ring finger to play the higher notes.
What's a root note?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
yeah but in metallica nothing else matters how do i play that
the strings are really apart and i cant reach with my thumb is there any other and easier method
you can finger pick it..or get one of those picks that slide onto ur thumb..i dnt know what its called...but kirk def finger picks the intro at least to nothing else matters..u can do the same for stairway!
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
yeah, finger pik it, and for the 3 notes and some open notes, just mute the unplayed strings and strum
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
If iam not mistaken..I believe this is called Hybrid picking? Where you use two fingers to play two different notes. I personally love this technique.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
finger picking is just picking with your fingers, fancy terms are just a waist of time if you wanna play, finger picking sums it up nicely. Hybrid picking? Never really heard of it
Yea the intro and the first area of vocals is all finger picking. Start using the pick at that G chord right before the strumming begins.
Proper term is "chick'n pick'n". And yeah SWTH is finger-picked.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join