Hi guys

I've been playin for about 5 months now and teachin myself ... but now i decided to practice more serious so i made my first schedule:

- Warm up 15-20 minutes (chromatic scales with a metronome starting slowly and other exercises with pull offs and hammer ons)
- Scales 45 minutes (basic scales major scale minor scale penantonic major + minor + blues scale over two octaves
- learning from a e-guitar book 45 minutes (mainly chord building and voicings)
- chord changes 15 minutes (barre powerchords open chords practice changes between them)
- Songs 1 hour : fade to black intro solo, under the bridge

What do you think about my schedule?

And i want to know how do you improvise or solo.
Because runnin up those scales a thousand times makes my finger movement faster but i still can't solo.
Recently I read somethin about learning the pentatonic over the whole guitar board with fragments and then learn licks and apply them to your playing but I'm confused and don't know where to start.

So please help me links and tipps are highly appreciated

and has anyone looked at that page yet ? http://www.myguitarsolo.com/schedule.htm
Last edited by cpjih at Sep 8, 2006,
looks pretty good. i would also add a few cool down excersis at the end of youre practice...it helps to solidify youre progress, and prevent injury.

as for learning how to solo, yes, pentatonic minor scale is an excellent place to start. i would recommend getting a few jam tracks, or playing along to youre fav songs. find out what key their in, and get started soloing.
yeah you should play with backing tracks
see what keys u can get it in

i.e.

a minor and c major can be used in one as well as e phrygian .....etc

modes modes modes..

theory will help you. i used to have a schedule like that but in the long run, theory will help you.
Also, this isn't a bad trick because it does help you, right down every song you learn, and then on the weekend or something, when you've got a bit of time, standup and play the songs you know (instead of learning) it's a heap of fun and reinforces what you learnt that week. rock out wid ure **** out! but yer write down teh songs you learn.
Marty
I too have a schedule similar to this and used to stick to it like glue but then I realised I wasn't having fun and for me guitar playing should be about the fun. Now my schedule is more "loose". I do 5 or so minutes warming up the usual 1-2-3-4 stuff. Run through the odd song I know. I then concrate on different aspects of playing, either rhythm or lead. Where possible I try to play with backing tracks as again it makes it more fun, a virtual band kind of thing.

Like suicidalmoose I have a list of songs, once I can play them I mark it as "complete", when I start to learn them I mark them as "started". Every so often I take the completed songs list and use that to form a set list and just play through all the songs. Heck of a lot of fun.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
These posts sparked a question for me.

Where do you get backing tracks w/out leads already in them? just find really thin songs or are their actually blank tracks available?
I'm the brains behind Jesse and the Rippers
Quote by taylo365
These posts sparked a question for me.

Where do you get backing tracks w/out leads already in them? just find really thin songs or are their actually blank tracks available?

i hope this isnt considered advertising, but, when i need something to solo over ie for improvisation, i usually use www.wholenote.com , they have a generator for it.

NOTE: it's called the groove builder on the website
Last edited by silvadolla at Sep 10, 2006,