Our band just raised approx $750 yesterday. We NEED recording gear desperately!!!

We want to record live stuff and record multi-track. We can't be limited soley on Multi-track.

Two options we found are:

DP-01FX ($299 on eBay) - Peavey PV14 mixer. The DP-01FX has dual phantom power inputs which I think would run dual from mixer. for a stereo sound. (correct me if I am wrong) but also read something that any stereo recordings from DP-01 can't be transfered to the PC. ?!?!

Would we lose sound quality using DP-01 and sub mixer?

Option 2:

KORG D888. It is a bit pricey @ $699. But may be worth it if the sound quality is better.

------

Note: We are also getting a brand new 2600 Peavey amp and a pair of SP5's donated to us as well.... so the D888 VS. the PV14 will be the mixer for that unit.

END RESULTS: will the sound quality be the same either way?
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
D888 vs. PV14 = Sound quality will be pretty comparable to each other, depending on what manufacturer of the pre-amp circuit in each model..... the big difference I see is the PV14 is JUST a mixer.....no recording capabilites at all. If you were going to run the outs of the PV14 into a DAT/tape/misc. recorder, you could record live material, but not multi-track.
Hate to say it, but between the 3 choices you presented, the D888 is going to do everything you want.
The DP-01FX has 2 phantom-powered XLR mic inputs.....meaning if you have any condenser microphones that need to be powered from an external source, the phantom power will power those mics. It has nothing to do with a stereo sound. It also says it has a USB port, so you should be able to xfer any recorded tracks or mixes to a computer, keep in mind that the quality of the AD/DA converters will impact the quality of sound (giant can o' worms there....). I'd venture to say those converters are better in the Korg unit.

There are a ton of different options you have, I'd need to know more specifics about your setup/preferences/needs/wants.....etc. Such as - in a 'live' recording, how many mic's will you be plugging into the mixer? any instruments going direct into the mixer? Do you want to have the ability to record each mic/instrument to it's own track in a 'live' performance, or just get a good mix and record just the stereo out?

I own a recording studio and I try to keep up-to-date on the latest and greatest, I'd be glad to help any way I can.
7chaosphere7,

You helped me in so many ways... I have so many questions. lol!

Here's the scoop. We are an 'original' band and write our own stuff... we want to record ourselves live to playback to see if we like our new material.. and / or change stuff.

Also we want this recorder to be capable to record multi-track @ professional quality, yet cheap, demos.

We'll plug in:

vox (Shure SM57)
guitar (mic'ed)
guitar (mic'ed)
bass (mic'ed)
drums (5 mics -sub-mix)

Mic > PV14 > DP-01 > PA

Or

Mic > D888 > PA

$700-$750 is our budget on record / Mixer (if needed)

(last questions, the only thing the DP-01FX has to offer VS. the non-FX version is the Phantom power) will I plug phanton out from mixer to DP-01FX or use 1/4 jack for best results?
"
-Maynard

| |
I'd recommend one of the Phonic firewire mixers. Recording on to computer is great, you get the flexability and ease of editing in multi-track programs, and all the effects and plugins etc. I know Alesis and Yamaha make USB/firewire mixers too but i think the largest ones they make have 8 mic imputs. The phonic comes in 2/4/8/16 mic inputs, which is great and since you need 9 mics i'd assume you'd want the 16. I know mackie makes a firewire card for the Onyx series but they're quite more expensive (1000+) where as the phonics about $720 or so. I think cubase has unlimited multi-track recording so you should be able to have all 9 inputs running at the same time.

And it avoids more complicated rigs like my drummer has a 24 track mackie board, but has to send it to a fostex digital usb use the sends to plug everything into the usb, and then into a multitrack program. This way with the phonic you just plug in and record.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Question: So if I bought, say, a BR-1600CD Digital Studio from BOSS, I could record directly into it, and then transfer the files onto my computer? Would that eliminate the need for a special soundcard and all that?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ I'm gonna say yes, you will not need a special sound card.

My problem is I don't want to buy another PC for recording. we have a $700 budget for recording gear.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by MrSandMan
^ I'm gonna say yes, you will not need a special sound card.

My problem is I don't want to buy another PC for recording. we have a $700 budget for recording gear.

I'm in the same position as you. I was planning on buying a new PC and soundcard for recording....but I guess I don't need to.

*is glad he asked fist*
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Guitar Center is hooking us a kick arse deal on the KORG D888- Guess that's one we're getting. They have it in stock and will probably drive up there today and get it.

Thanks yall
"
-Maynard

| |