I'm looking into getting a new amp, with 30 watts being my limit of output, as it will only be used in my room (well...for now anyway)

I was wondering which would be the best option really...

I think its probably between the roland cube 30 or the line 6 spider 2 30 watt version

any ideas?
cube, the line 6 is to digital sounding, wat type of music do u play
oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention that.....

I play alot of stuff really...no Metal whatsoeve though...

mostly bands like Muse, Green Day, Feeder, Queens of the stone age etc...
Have a look at a Vox AD30VT, or VR30.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
^ i agree if your looking for that metal tone then the vox is pretty good but you can still get good tone with the cube. i say that u should try them out, i tried out the line 6 and it was horrible.
Dont get the Spider, its so ****ty, it sounds horrible, dont even bother with it.

but yeha look at some Vox's, there supposed to be real good
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by dingo356
^ i agree if your looking for that metal tone.......

Lol I specificially said NO METAL, but yeah I'll look into the Vox..
sorry i meant to say 'i agree if your not looking for that metal tone'
i 100% agree with igotabcrich32 about the line 6's, they are very digital sounding and break up very easily when using high gain
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
if you're avoiding metal probrably the vox, i have the cube 60 version and absolutely love it, i tried the vox in the shop and it was very good for indie, but didn't like the metal tone so much, but that wouldn't fuss you.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
uhmm

peavey classic 30

hands down destroys whatever else has been mentioned if your goal isnt metal
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

now a vox isnt the best 30 watt amp you can get,

a very expensive all tube some where high up there would be better

but a vox is one of the best in that affordable price range

but if your not playing metal, i wouldnt get the cube, its more of a metal amp
Not solid state.

Peavey Classic 30, or Blues Jr!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
classic 30 FTW
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ummm he wanted to use it in his room...

30W valve amp in his room?

That might just be painful.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'm not sure about the Vox. I'm pretty sure it isn't full valve.

Some people were just suggesting Blues Jr. etc which are valve.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
if he's going to go tube then a 5W would be fine.

if he's talking solid state then 30W.

tube, try an epi valve junior 5W head and a cab.
blues jr and classic30 arent made for bedrooms, imo.

solid state, check out vox.

with the vox ull get more for ur money, plenty of effects, and the ability to take it around easier.
the epi is a neat little tube amp, but ull want a tube screamer and maybe another pedal to get ur ideal tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm also looking for a 30 watt amp (solid state) to replace my 15w peavey.

I play a huge range of stuff from acousticy stuff in church to heavy metal stuff like metallica and iron maiden plus just about everything in between.

I would i deally like an amp with a decent amount of effects built in (Distortion, wah. reverb) as i don't have the money for a decent set of pedals as well as an amp

My price range is up to £150-200
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I was looking into the Fender Dyna-Touch-3 Series ? Champion 300, anyone know if thats a decent amp?
im not crazy about the fender dyna series.

for the same money as the fender, u can get the vox30 if ur into classic stuff or the cube 30 if u like high gain.
the vox is just a more natural tone than the fender in this line.

if ur going to go fender, then go tube. for moddeling amps, not so much.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 9, 2006,
If you want versatile modelling, I'd go with the Vox AD30, it's a great amp. If you want better tone, at the expense of versatility, go with a tube combo like a Laney LC 15R or LC30, VC30, or a Blues Jr. You really won't need 30 tube watts for bedroom use, my LC15r can keep up with a drummer when jamming or playing in a small room, so 30 tube watts would be a little hard to control for low volume stuff
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Get the Laney VC30212. Best Damn 30 watter I've ever played, and it's LOUD. If you're getting it for bedroom use, go the smaller version, the VC15110. It's what I use, and it's a beautiful little amp.

For an idea of tone (I play an PRS SE EG and sommat running an SD sreaming demon through it):
Clean, low volume: Has a fantastically full clean tone, can be either warm or bright. I use it for jazz work and belting out Chuck Berry.
Clean, high volume: Starts to break up nicely as volume increases, and eventually starts to growl.
Drive, low volume: As low vol clean, but with a bit more of an edge to it. Bites through well.
Drive, high vol: growls more and more as vol increases. At mid gain is great for electric blues, rock, and high gain almost gets into punk rock guitar tone, but with slightly less saturation and more definition.

This amp is limited by the fact that it will not give metal on its own. It just doesn't saturate the gain enough, but it would probably do it fine with a pedal - I don't know, I haven't tried.
The other point of this amp is that the tone is reliant on the volume - if you have a tone you like, but it's too loud, it is impossible to greatly lower the volume and maintain the same tone.

Despite this, I love my little laney dearly, and were it not for the dangers of electrocution, I would definetly sex it up.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Would 30 watts solid state be big enough to play at small things such as with my church music group (our chirch is about 400 people) or would it be drowned out by drums.

Would my 15 w be driwned out by drums for that matter
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
Would 30 watts solid state be big enough to play at small things such as with my church music group (our chirch is about 400 people) or would it be drowned out by drums.

i saw a cube 30 solid state play a 350 person room, you could hear it, but at that volume the tone loses most of its properties.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by doive

Your 15 watt would be drowned out. 30 should be enough, assuming your drummer is a fairly light hitter. You might need a little more though. If you're getting a solid-state, there isn't much point in getting a lower wattage (except for price) because they actually sound better at low volumes, and you could use the extra headroom for a band situation.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
not just classic rock. it's more that it does everything well except metal.

can u try one out? that's really the only way to know for sure which amp is best for u.

these are all practice amps, none of them are going to be perfect, the key is getting the most for ur money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well, there were a couple of speaker complaints on the 30w vox. maybe, that should be taken into consideration. u can reach out to dirk gently, he's got one, and i think thats his only complaint.

as for the 30W cube, my cousins had one for years, the thing is a tank. roland has great quality, portability, and tone, for a High gain amp. guess that sort of leaves it out tho.

fender solid states arent as reliable or natural. ive got a SS fender, its ok i guess, but not really in the same class as either the vox or cube. buzzy when u turn it up. i tried but dont own the champ tho. so again, thats to take into consideration.

ive also got a 5W tube epi valve junior head, can compete with a 30 watt solid state.
u'd need a cab and at least one pedal tho, so there's just something else to throw in there.

randall is ok but its high gain, not as versatile.
ibanez, ive got one, they're ok but a little unreliable.
mgs i had 2, one broke after 2 days, one i modded to a cab cause i hated the tone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So is it pretty much there is certainly no way I should buy an amp unless I can try it out first?

cause it's just the Vox ad30vt sound suited to me, but I'd have no way of trying one out at all, so if that's the case I'll probably go for the cube 30 because I'll be able to try that out
i dont know matt, i didnt mean to back u off the vox amp, i just wanted u to reach out to dirk (pete) first. he's got one, and seems to really like it.

i tried out vox a few times, i really liked the tones. sounded very natural, very tube-like.
had a ton of effects.

i think u can get an amp online. ive ordered things online before never had a problem.

plus, most places have a good return policy. not really anything to lose. (except shipping)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62