Hey,

Been playing guitar for 2 years. So far, all i've been playing has been sitting in a chair..... And so i bought a guitar strap and tried to play standing up and I can't!!!

Should i just practice from now on standing up? Should it really be this difficult? I have the guitar a little higher than the height of my stomach.
start playing it up really high on the strap, and slowly lower it. so far i can't play it down at my waist. but i'm getting there
Sounds like your guitar is a bit too high, I'd strap it lower but not too low if you're not used to playing standing up.

The way I have it strapped is with the top of my LP at my waist. Other than that, just practice until you're comfortable both ways, joining a band sorted me out the fast way since there's nowhere to sit!
I only have trouble shredding or sweeping if the guitar is too low (however, that's what my style mostly consists of). No shame in wearing your guitar ridiculously high or even putting a leg up so play a solo, right? Petrucci's cool, isn't he???
You'll get it. We've all had that problem at one time or another.

Join a band: trial by fire.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

just figure it out howhigh or low your guiar should hang...
and it's just a thing to become comfortable with
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
Quote by demiphoenix
start playing it up really high on the strap, and slowly lower it. so far i can't play it down at my waist. but i'm getting there

Yep yep, i play with my strap high enough i could almost play with my teeth =D
Now that i Lay me down to sleep, i pray the lord my soul to take if I die before i wake.

Quote by Invictious
Metallica are blues, for god's sake.
Had the same problem myself. When I started playing in a band, had to play standing. Felt like I was learning everything all over again. Like with everything else, just takes time to get used to. I agree with demiphoenix, start high & work lower. That's what worked for me.
"What Is, Is Was & What Was Is Is!!!"
eh yeah, youll get used to it, we all had that problem.
Quote by Brandon860
hey man, any person with a Wayne's World avatar I have all the faith in the world in

Founder of the "Taco Bell > You" PM me to join.
You can do it, lol

you know how that old saying goes right?..............What does practice make?
Start with your strap rediculously high, like John Lennon.
Practice.
Work your way down.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Yeah it mostly takes work, I still cant play as smooth standing up as i can sitting down. Starting with strap high up is a good idea though.
Strap your guitar higher and in future, learn stuff standing up to start with. It means you don't struggle later on.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society