Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about a year now. I've gone through a lot of tabs, made my own little riffs (I guess you can call them that), but what I really want to do is be able to write songs (just really basic ones). However, what I realized is that I don't have enough knowledge in basic music theory to do that. For example, I don't fully understand melodies, harmonies, progressions, scales, solos etc. If someone can give me some good links or can explain some basic things that I should know, then I would really appreciate that.

Thanks
www.musictheory.net Understand keys, chords, and scales. Basics though. It's a good start.
Gestating with all the other rats
Nurse said that my skin will need a graft I am of pockmarked shapes
The vermin you need to loathe
-The Mars Volta
a little book called The A-Z of Music Theory, dunno who wrote or published it tho. It's great, and can still help you as your knowledge gets better.
Gear:
LTD EC-50 w/ EMG HZ H4's
Maverick F-3
Digitech Metal Master
Boss CE-5
Marshall MG10CD
Play Punk Rock. Here Il write you a song

Verse
A5-D5-E5 (PM-open switch)X4

Chorus
A5-D5-E5 (All open)X2

Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Solo (Open e String x 4 measures with a5-d5-e5 in back)
Chorus
Chorus
Chorus
End On A
Quote by NoneMoreBlack
Play Punk Rock. Here Il write you a song

Verse
A5-D5-E5 (PM-open switch)X4

Chorus
A5-D5-E5 (All open)X2

Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Solo (Open e String x 4 measures with a5-d5-e5 in back)
Chorus
Chorus
Chorus
End On A

Thats basically what a lot of songs are with some breakdowns thrown in, and some fills. Basically when your just playing simple rock or something, which most music is nowadays you dont need to know a whole lot. Just be able to develop your riffs into songs and come up with choruses and verses and there you have a song. Unless your playing prog or something its more of a matter of sounding good than fretting over what your writing.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!