ive got a really anoying problem, i cant play a whole song without my plectrum spinning round and eventually falling out of my hand. ive tried holding it tight, holding it loose, holding it with my finger tips, holding it between my thumb and lower finger. its really starting to get on my nerves now. is there a fool proof way of holding it, or is there a plectrum that has some sort of grip on it? please help!!!
There are some picks that have grips; I believe I saw some Ibanez ones with them but they seemed pretty expensive for picks. I must say though, that's a really odd problem. Do you hold your pick perpendicular to the strings or something? Even when I hold my pick lightly, it doesn't shift.
GMO INC.
Cant help you dude but just want to say i have the same problem, all you can do i just keep recorecting your grip in the breaks in the songs your playing.
I feel for you man.
dimebag used to rip deep X's into his plecs with a sharp thing like a dart or a knife (that's what i do)
they look like crap but you wan't loose it
and just try to play the strings at their top...
maybe your pick's digging too deep into your strings
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
yea your probly goin in too deep. cuz i barely hold it and im fine. lol. just practice and find a good techinque and eventually you will be able to hold it right
you are probably strumming way to hard and your pick is going too far in between the strings
Quote by Mad Marius
No, I saw them on that documentary, Jurassic Park. They walked around and ate electric fences and people.
Quote by itormentbunnies
There are some picks that have grips; I believe I saw some Ibanez ones with them but they seemed pretty expensive for picks. I must say though, that's a really odd problem. Do you hold your pick perpendicular to the strings or something? Even when I hold my pick lightly, it doesn't shift.

when i start the song, the point is pointing at the strings, but by the time ive got to the second verse it has spun around so the point is pointing to my palm and im hitting the strings with the rounded part.
Quote by mart744
when i start the song, the point is pointing at the strings, but by the time ive got to the second verse it has spun around so the point is pointing to my palm and im hitting the strings with the rounded part.

Could you clarify more please? The point should always be pointing at the string, no matter what angle you put it at :P.
GMO INC.
You're calling it a plectrum. Your pick is probably bothered by this, and wants to leave.
Try this:
1)Get your pick and a piece of string
2)Make a hole on your pick
3)Fit the string in the hole
4)Tie the ends of the string
5)Wear the pick,by looping it around your wrist several times
6)Loop one circle of the string between your index finger and thumb
7)Tadaa!Now you have an anti-dropping pick!So,even if you let the pick go,it still hangs around your fingers,and you can easily grab it back when you accidentally slip it.

This idea is given by my friend,she made it for me as my birthday present,spossed to be my bracelet
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Ali_Boulala
dimebag used to rip deep X's into his plecs with a sharp thing like a dart or a knife (that's what i do)

yeah i find that works for me. i make a a crosshatch pattern with a knife on mine, then they'll be really grippy.
Ibanez 370DX LH, Tanglewood Nevada LH, Freshman Apoostic, VOX AD30VT amp
Quote by mart744

I understand what you're saying about the rotating pick. I had the same problem years ago when I was first starting out. I grew out of it fairly quickly, so if you're a beginning player, have heart
try holding it with your thumb, index, and middle reinforcing the index finger, that might help.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
yeah i had the same problem for about 3 months.

Went away by itself.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I know my pick alays spins around, but I've somehow adopted a way of playing and spinning it around back to where it was naturally. Probably ebcause I use a softer pick, and for strumming I bring it out from my fingers, and for picking, you can barely see the tip of it, so I move it within my fingers quite a lot while playing.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Hey dude, why don't you try this...
First, try a hard pick... I use a Dunlop .96mm or 1.14mm pick (just coz I like the colors they make).
Next, try to hold it close to the tip... with only a minimal portion of the pick sticking out (whatever's comfortable with you, but as close to the end of the tip as you can).
Now focus and try to determine your most comfortable arm, hand, and finger position and start picking on one string (any string), and only one note (any note).
Try to pick consistently slowly, then medium speed, then build up speed to as fast as you can, but still remaining consistent. By consistent, I mean, the feel should be the same each time the pick stikes the string, and the volume should be the same (you can work on varying your picking dynamics later on). When you can do this consistently without your pick spinning or without dropping your pick, then on to the next step.
Next, tune in to a favorite tv program or a movie or a dvd or something you can watch for a while.
Now, grab your guitar, sit comfortably in front of the tv and just pick each string one at a time, sub-consciously... as in, try not to think about it, and just try to feel it... you should be concentrating on what's going on in the tv show or dvd movie you're watching.
If your attention on the show is being taken away by your picking, then that means you gotta keep at it, but if this works for you as it has for me, then you'll be on your way to be picking sub-consciously without really having to even think about it... until you really have to... like in cases when you have to figure out the most efficient way to get in and out of a lick or a difficult riff.
When you've done one string, move on to the others, then try strumming (again consistenly at first, then later on weak strumming to heavy strumming for varying dynamics), then try picking and strumming with muted strings by the palm of your picking hand on the bridge.
I know it sounds mundane and pathetic, but what you're actually doing is building muscle memory, strength, and dexterity, and though a bit boring, this is as effective as picking chromatic scales... doesn't sound impressive at all, but does a whole lotta good for your brain and finger coordination.
Good luck.
Hope this helps.
Oh, one more thing... this excercise can also be used to build really fast picking speed... the only thing with building really fast picking speed is if the fingers of your other hand will be able to keep up.
Last edited by mmc1 at Sep 13, 2006,
or... you could glue it to your fingers
Got bored left. Got bored where I went away to. Came back.
Grow your index fingernail really long -- you won't loose that. On the downside, your kind of stuck with the "pick thickness" that God gave you.
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500