Sorry for yet another "which guitar should I get" thread, but it's really hard to find old threads that match what I'm looking for.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy a new guitar... budget of about $1K, give or take a few hundred. I'm looking for a very versatile guitar... I like playing all kinds of music, anything from classic rock, punk, rock, alternative, and even some metal.

From what I've read, it seems a MIA Fender Fat Strat is probably a good choice, but are there any other guitars that I should take a look at? Or is this such a wide range of music that it'll be hard to find one guitar that'll do well at them all?

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by globetro at Sep 8, 2006,
Yeah, Fender Fat Strat would be great, but also check out LTD's -1000 range, as well as used Gibsons and PRS.
A nice strat, not a Highway 1, or a nice Tele. Either A Fat or a regular, and ofcourse a bitchin' amp!
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
G&L Tribute bout a 1k canadian w/ case. Deadly guitars w/ same parts as 4K G&L's just assembled in korea. Wayyyy beter than any strat ive played.
Quote by Frankie27
G&L Tribute bout a 1k canadian w/ case. Deadly guitars w/ same parts as 4K G&L's just assembled in korea. Wayyyy beter than any strat ive played.

I like this guys Idea. G&L's never get the lovethey deserve.

well, i love my strat! but its mexican... but i dont hate...
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
get a high end ESP/LTD without active pickups
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
ummmm what amp? no point in having a very versatile guitar while your still playing through a practice amp. and yeh i say LTD Deluxe models any with Seymour Duncan pickups then you can upgrade them if need be
A gibson Les Paul will work really good, even for the metal. And they are such beautiful and high quality guitars.
A lower end Carvin maybe?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Look at the Schecter's . There are lots of schecters for that price and they are top quality guitars . Guitar world said that although they are made in Korea the have the quality of many custom shop guitars . I have a pt elite and even though I have a 73 les paul custom I have owned from new ,the pt is my go to guitar.
Quote by Dookie92
A gibson Les Paul will work really good, even for the metal. And they are such beautiful and high quality guitars.

Debatably so, because it seems that some are made well and some suck, even If there the same model. And ther over priced. I cannot see paying 1K for a Les Paul, I would get a cheaper one that was well made and ifx it up.

what's the difference between an american made strat and a mexican strat?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
what's the difference between an american made strat and a mexican strat?

About 200 USD. From a MIM to a Highway 1 atleast, but if you think about getting a highway one, just get a MIM. Same parts, jus tput togeather in Mexico instead of America.

yeh american strats good choice

try the standard even mine even sounds great througha line six
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
Quote by srvman
yeh american strats good choice

try the standard even mine even sounds great througha line six

Which line 6? Please don't say Spyder... Oh god please....

Quote by zekk
I like this guys Idea. G&L's never get the lovethey deserve.

I agree, G&L's are really nice guitars.
yeh spider 212

dont worry i have a fender blues juniour though, i was just seeing if it sounded good on everything
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
Quote by srvman
yeh spider 212

dont worry i have a fender blues juniour though, i was just seeing if it sounded good on everything

Ah, just making sure you weren't on of those Spyder toting nits who's never heard the pure tone of a real amp, and by real I mean a Tube amp.

I have a spider and I hate all the hatred towards it, I am not going to say something stupid like it sounds awesome, but it sounds good and for a bedroom amp/ band practise or small (non serious) gig it is pretty good. (well for metal anyway)
The AMR Fender strats doesn't excite me at all. They sound very thin and can't handle overdrive that good. If you want versatility you want Ibanez, but that means that you HAVE TO change the pick ups. Try the Ibanez SA2120FM (or HM I can never remember it). You need to fix the bridge (that's VERY easy!) and change the pups. I'll gladly advice you on pups.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
1. what amp do you have
2. what style do you play the most? you have to have a favorite, and i'd definatly get a guitar that's versital but "best" in that category, like if you like metal the best then mabye the fender isn't the greatest, but if you like classic/cleans then the fender may be best
I would recommend buying yourself a good amp first, then worrying about the guitar. Unless of course you have a good one already. In that case, I would recommend a Fender or an LTD and getting some Seymours put in. Seymours can handle a very large range of music.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Fender Strat is the most versatile. I am picking one up either this tuesday or wednesday. I will be posting pics and (if possible) sound clips along with videos.
High as tits
schecter c-1 classic = WELL below your budget and an AMAZING versatile guitar.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Randall RG75DG3
===================
How to get better at guitar when you don't have one, or there isn't one around:

Quote by Invictious
Air guitar.

Masturbate.

Wow, thanks for all the advice, seems like everyone has a different opinion on which guitar to get. From all your advice, the guitars I'm considering are:

MIA Fender Strat
Schecter C-1 Classic
G&L
Ibanez RG1570

The Strat would probably be the front runner, as it seems like you can't really go wrong with a strat.

The Schecter seems like a great guitar, but I'm not really liking the vine-on-life inlay.

I don't know much about G&L, so I'm not really keen on getting one of those.

I like the Ibanez, although I'm a little concerned that it might be geared more for metal-heads... also, not so sure about the basswood body and I don't know if I want to deal with the hassles of a tremolo.
Just a note : G&L is the company Leo Fender started with George Fullerton after he sold Fender in 72 .These are the guitars Fender would have made if Leo didn't sell .Some say their more fender than fender , but that would start a whole nother thread . LOL . The tribute's are made under licence in Korea to the same specs. as the American made but with there own materials and cheaper labor,great guitars just the same. Some of the best guitars out there are coming from Korea. The Schecter C-1 comes in other models without the vine inlays , check out there web page.