do I have this right? 24 frets, tuning down a whole step, and putting a capo on the 2nd fret would give you standard tuning with effectively 22 frets, although at a lower string tension? you could even offset the tension by putting on heavier strings? any long term problems with that? would it sound strange for any reason? sounds like an easy setup for drop tuning the whole guitar.
Nope, should have no problems as long as your guitar is intonated properly
Hi, I'm Peter
all it would do is give you 22 frets to play instead so if you really need the extra octave dont do it
LIVE
2008 Fender Baja Telecaster (Good guitar buy one)
1979 Fender Stratocaster
1993 Fender Duo-Sonic
Peavey Studio Pro
Fender Deluxe Reverb
why would you do that though?
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
if you're gonna take off the capo as well to play, than seems fine. i experimented with it as well...
I'm guessing you want to play a gig or something in drop d and in standard tuning..in which case you can just put the capo on and off instead of retuning. That would be the only sensible time to do that...wouldn't bother doing it all the time, would be pointless.

The sound will be different, and probably the sustain because the capo won't give the same sound or string resonance as the nut normally does...
Quote by black_box
do I have this right? 24 frets, tuning down a whole step, and putting a capo on the 2nd fret would give you standard tuning with effectively 22 frets, although at a lower string tension? you could even offset the tension by putting on heavier strings? any long term problems with that? would it sound strange for any reason? sounds like an easy setup for drop tuning the whole guitar.

THANK YOU! Someone else who knows that ever fret is a halfstep!!! Sorry, It just seems that noone notices that...
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Written in C
I'm guessing you want to play a gig or something in drop d and in standard tuning..in which case you can just put the capo on and off instead of retuning. That would be the only sensible time to do that...wouldn't bother doing it all the time, would be pointless.

The sound will be different, and probably the sustain because the capo won't give the same sound or string resonance as the nut normally does...

first off, he's not tuning to drop d, he's tuning a whole step down

drop d = DADGBE
whole step down = DGCFAD (if im not mistaken)

and secondly when the capo pushes down on the strings it pushes them down onto the fret, so the strings ring off from the fret not the capo itself, i doubt the sustain or resonance would be affected at all.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
first off, he's not tuning to drop d, he's tuning a whole step down

drop d = DADGBE
whole step down = DGCFAD (if im not mistaken)

and secondly when the capo pushes down on the strings it pushes them down onto the fret, so the strings ring off from the fret not the capo itself, i doubt the sustain or resonance would be affected at all.

Yea, didn't really think about the drop d thing...I know what I meant ^_^ just didn't say it. I'm not stupid...really.. ...just a bit tired, sorry.

The frets don't give the same tone/sound as the nut though on a lot of guitars, and the sustain is more likely to be affected because you are shortening the amount of string that is vibrating, which will reduce the sustain I think.
I play along w/ MP3's on my computer quite a bit, and quite a few metallica songs that I like are lowered a 1/2 or whole step. I get along fine w/ my 22 fret guitar, so getting a new guitar w/ 24 would let me drop tunings a 1/2 or whole step very quickly by just (re)moving the capo. Sounds pretty useful for something w/ a locking tremolo.

I agree, sustain may be affected but since its just me in the apartment for now... no big deal. My other option is to find a program to alter the MP3 file (or its playback) to raise it up to standard E tuning.

thanks to everyone for your comments.
I always find the 23 and 24 fret always useful, without those 2 frets, I feel handicapped. I like the 2 frets, hmph.
i reckon that sounds like a good idea for floyd rose users, tune it to D then with the capo you can get D, Eb and E tunings or higher if youre crazy
Quote by zekk
THANK YOU! Someone else who knows that ever fret is a halfstep!!! Sorry, It just seems that noone notices that...

Where've you been?
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join