Page 1 of 2
My question to you is what Classic Rock band/group/artist do you think produced the best harmonies. If you're going to say a band like the Allman Brothers because of guitar harmonies, make you mention it's guitar.

Mine would have to be the Beatles for vocals and Led Zeppelin with guitar harmonies. Jimmy Page didn't abuse the hell out of harmony but when he used it he nailed it. There is nothing to say about Beatles' harmony but godly.
Crosby Stills Nash and Young

</thread>
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
I really like VH's chorus vocal harmonies that stagger from Roth's singing. I hope that made sense.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
beatles for vocals obviously, then ill go ahead and agree by saying the allman brothers for guitar. Pink Floyd also had some great vocal harmonies as well as instrumental.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
the beatles basically 'invented' harmonies in rock'n'roll, and were the best at it. the who had harmonies in the early days, not necessarily good because Pete and Keith weren't known as 'singer's' but still tasetfull.
***MEMBER OF THE WHO FAN CLUB***

*Founder of Teenage Wasteland Club*(working to inform the un-informed)

**Member #2 of the Windmillers Club**

**Alter Boy of Zeppelinism**

*9/08 THE WHO*
I don't think the Beatles harmonies could hold a candle to the Beach Boys', personally. Their voices are better, technically, as well.

The Pretty Things have good Beatles-style harmonies. "Scene One" off their album "Parachute" is one of my favorites.

The Zombies also have some great ones, especially "Changes" off of "Odyssey And Oracle."

These are all vocal harmonies by the way.
Good idea for a thread

There is no question that the best vocal harmonies come from either CSNY or the Eagles.

Guitar harmonies is a different story. Boston probably takes my vote for that (I only have the first album, but it's a great one). Allman Brothers are a good choice as well.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I love when Led Zeppelin harmonize the guitar and vocals, like in Dazed and Confused, You Shook Me, and Nobody's Fault But Mine
CSNY are my favorite for vocals.

For CR guitar... hmm. Brian May has probably been the most influential for me, harmony-wise.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^^that's another good one...Queen were great both with both vocal harmonies and guitar harmonies.
Quote by Thefallofman
No mention of The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds yet?
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
CSNY. 3rded.

Allman Bros. for guitar.

I don't think anyone in CR is much better than that.
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
Queen were kick-ass with vocal harmonies.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
The Band had some lovely harmonies, so ill go for them.
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
Led Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song (Singing)" and "Stairway to Heaven (guitar)". Queen also had good harmonies always singing with there acopelo. Not sure if you'd really can't Jim Morrison's (lead singer for the doors) singing "good harmonies"...but if you would it'd definately have to be him. His voice was just mezmorizing.
R.I.P Jerry Garcia (1945)-(1995)

In the winter of '65 we were hungry, just barely alive.

Confederate
Quote by Sqeeezie
Crosby Stills Nash and Young

</thread>

Agreed. Close this thread now.

Oh, and shal0mnurh0me, your sig is wrong. Jim Morrison wasn't a true poet... IN MY OPINION

****ers... stop overanalyzing everything.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Last edited by Sherman901 at Sep 9, 2006,
Quote by ledhed68
^how wasnt jim morrison a true poet?

There are many more poets that are underrated and ignored. Jim Morrison didn't have half the talent that Bob Dylan does and Bob hardly gets any attention because he doesn't have Morrison's looks or voice. Morrison just took acid drank a fifth and wrote **** down.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
^^that doesn't mean he is wrong. That's only what you think. Others may think otherwise.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by Sherman901
There are many more poets that are underrated and ignored. Jim Morrison didn't have half the talent that Bob Dylan does and Bob hardly gets any attention because he doesn't have Morrison's looks or voice. Morrison just took acid drank a fifth and wrote **** down.

are you serious?

EDIT: that statement reminds me of when FreddieMercury said that people don't give Freddie Mercury any recognition as a singer
Last edited by I Play Guitar! at Sep 8, 2006,
Quote by Sherman901
Agreed. Close this thread now.

Oh, and shal0mnurh0me, your sig is wrong. Jim Morrison wasn't a true poet...

Why should this thread be closed? I thought by putting an actual interesting thread to see the opinions of different people on a cool subject I could start a nice discussion. Just because you have a strong opinion about a band doesn't mean that you are right and all else is wrong and the case is closed. You're ignorant and you seem to have the maturity of a cardboard box.

Any body like the Stones' harmonies? They give more of a southern/country feel.
Quote by distilledspirit
Why should this thread be closed? I thought by putting an actual interesting thread to see the opinions of different people on a cool subject I could start a nice discussion. Just because you have a strong opinion about a band doesn't mean that you are right and all else is wrong and the case is closed. You're ignorant and you seem to have the maturity of a cardboard box.

Any body like the Stones' harmonies? They give more of a southern/country feel.

I was kidding about the closing part. Everyone here needs to chill out. Everyone is so high strung around here.. I am not ignorant, you just take offense far too easily. Remember kids, this is the internet.

Edit: IPlayGuitar, around where I live everyone gives me **** for liking Bob Dylan. Nobody stops to listen to any of his music, they just mock me. I try to explain it to them and they just say 'He can't sing, he sucks.' Maybe not where you live, but around here, nobody gives him credit.
Quote by primusucks

hey texas, nobody cares.
Last edited by Sherman901 at Sep 9, 2006,
Dylan is a genious is was and will always be, but this is a thread about harmony let's get back to the point here. Why don't you give some good Dylan harmony if any? I like the chorus of Just Like a Woman at Bangledesh.
Quote by Sherman901

Oh, and shal0mnurh0me, your sig is wrong. Jim Morrison wasn't a true poet... IN MY OPINION

****ers... stop overanalyzing everything.
well, that's a start, but there is no good reason as to why he's wrong
Quote by Thefallofman
CSNY or Simon and Garfunkel for vocals.
Thin Lizzy for guitar
Originally posted by fuzzybunny
I hereby dub you the UG's new God of Love. Really. That was brilliant.

heh.
Originally posted by someone i can't remember
the one called lukef speaks the truth.
Quote by BrainDamage
well, that's a start, but there is no good reason as to why he's wrong

but he said, his sig is wrong, saying that his opinion is above shal0mnurh0me´s, plus i just wanted to know his reasons
Queen for vocals definatly. 3 band members sang in the background almost every song. and then you have freddie coming out with one of the best voices ever man.. it cant be beaten.
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
2 of the 4 members have there own songs that they sing and freddie has no part of. but in some songs that need background Freddie,may, and taylor all sing together to make the harmonies so.. no freddie doesnt do it ALL but every one helps
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
The Eagles- mainly because of the live version of "Seven Bridges Road"
CSN&Y
Beatles
The Band
Queen
Bow down to the king....the King of Kings
Eagles come to mind. simon and garfunkel, beach boys for vocals obviously. allman bros particularly jessica, one of my personal favs.
Proud follower of Zeppelinism

PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Eat, drink and be merry,
for tomorrow we die.
Page 1 of 2