Hi everyone,

I have a young mate who is looking into buying an electric guitar. His parents want him to get the Squier Strat Pack. Having had this pack as my starter kit, I'm a bit wary of it. I was thinking that he should get a microcube and some kind of little starter guitar. Remember that the idea here is to keep the price below that of the strat pack.

I saw the LP Jr. by Epiphone. My friend is a bit of an aspiring punk rocker , so I figured that the single P-90 might be right up his alley.

Is this a good starter guitar?

Are there any better ones in the price range?

What would you guys reccommend (amp/guitar) for my friend?
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
No. If your going to get a guitar, try and get one with two Pups. Because is/when his style changes the P90 might not suit him anymore, while a humbucker works for ALMOST anything. Get an Ibeanez or Fat Strat, real one.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
If by "real one" you mean Fender, than it's out of the question. The money issue is really a deciding factor here.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Then go with an Ibeanez and a micro.

Quote by zekk
Then go with an Ibeanez and a micro.

Whatever you do, DON'T get the Ibanez starter guitars. I'd say have him get the microcube and a Squier Affinity Fat Strat, it's good for what you're paying. Or maybe the Affinity Fat Strat Pack, unless you're really set on the cube.

I would steer clear of that Epi too.
Edit. If you get a squire, make sure its made of alder, not agathis or some mysteris "hardwood"...

A Squier that's actually made of a good wood like alder would be the best option.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by carniferous
Thanks all. I guess there is no "good" option here.

Just get an Alder wquire and a decent amp.

A good option would be a Squier made of decent wood. Just make sure it's not agathis or "hardwood" and it should be fine. It's not a bad thing, and it's a huge amount better than any plywood guitar like the Epi Lp Jr.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by zekk
No. If your going to get a guitar, try and get one with two Pups. Because is/when his style changes the P90 might not suit him anymore, while a humbucker works for ALMOST anything. Get an Ibeanez or Fat Strat, real one.

Ibeanez? Is that a new brand of beanies?
rondo music...great bang for your buck with guitars...
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Just have him get the freaking Strat Pack. I hate the "Roland Microcube," and I think that it is by far the most overrated amp ever. The Frontman amp sucks, but the Strat Pack will get him going for 2+ years.

I'm my Squier Strat right now, and man, I love this thing.
^I'd actually suggest a nice Squier (an alder one) and a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT. At the most that should be $250-$300 and he's basically set ampwise until he wants to gig, and guitarwise until he feels like upgrading the pickups.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Squier '51 is Basswood with 1 HB and one Single coil, might be worth looking at...

THe amp in the frontman pack is not good but not the worst. I was lucky to get a brilliant strat in my starter pack. Quality control isn't Squier's strong point but it can mean you can get a great guitar for your money if you get a good example.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.