Is it as risky buying an acoustic from the internet as it is buying an electric? I don't know, but it just seems that there is less that can go wrong with acoustics.

I ask this because I want to buy a Vintage V300 acoustic (Very cheap but VERY good - I've played one in a shop) , however, I live miles from the nearest music shop and it would cost me more to get a coach in to buy it than to get a guitar delivered.
Indeed, IMO it is as risky, if not MORE risky buying a used aoustic online as buying an electric guitar. Check my "buying used guitars" thread on this forum to see a list of potential problems and questions to ask.
The Key here IS asking the right questions and getting the correct answers. You should also try to get an inspection period and money back if Guitar is found to have been misrepresented.
Walk away if the seller A. Refuses to answer questions. Or B. seems evasive. Trust your insticts. If something seems amiss, it probably is. But it is possible to make good buys w/proper caution and some perhaps a little luck. I've made several online acoustic buys and can say that A. I haven't been ripped off. And B. I've come to the conclusion that if possible it buy in person. Every guitar is different. Even same make/model can have different tones etc. So that you like one you played here, doesn't necessarily mean the one you buy online will sound/play the same. Often I've been dissappointed, not by condition, but because it wasn't what I had hoped to get tonally etc.
But I made an Ebay buy last nite on a certain model after watching the auctions for MONTHS to (hopefully) get one in great condition at a good price. Hope it works out for me and you too.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 8, 2006,
Well that is a horse of a different color.
Surely it comes w/some type of satisfaction guarantee. Nearly all mailorder outlets offer this. If so, your risk is that you have to pay return shipping if you choose to return it.
Be sure not to damage the shipping box until you make your decision. And be EXTREMELY carefull not to scatch/dent/alter or damage the guitar.
Make your decision quickly as you usually only a few days to contact the seller for an RA (return authorization). Then follow their return instructions TO THE LETTER.
Another point is that mailorder outlets seldom offer guitar set-up (neck/bridge adjustment) and sell the guitars in as received from factory condition. So your new guitar may need to be set up at your added expense locally.
Bying an acoustic online is much MUCH more risky than buying an electric. No 2 acoustic guitars will ever sound the same. You could have to guitars made by the same person, the same day, with materials from the same tree, built to the same specs and even then the guitars will not sound the same. 1 could be the best sounding guitar in the world and the other could be the worst. You really should play the actual guitar before you buy it.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Bying an acoustic online is much MUCH more risky than buying an electric. No 2 acoustic guitars will ever sound the same. You could have to guitars made by the same person, the same day, with materials from the same tree, built to the same specs and even then the guitars will not sound the same. 1 could be the best sounding guitar in the world and the other could be the worst. You really should play the actual guitar before you buy it.

Amen.
the problem is, it is a lot more expensive to buy one from the shop than online, and the website i've seen it on (PieDog) is not a high street store. If i don't like it, it is still more convenient and cheaper to pay for return shipping than travel into Aberdeen to buy/return a guitar.

Is it a risk worth taking?
The thing is, if you go to the music shop and play it you will know what it sounds like. There is no need to take it back if it sounds horrible. If you order online you never know what you are getting. Sometimes it's worth the risk of buying online but only you can know that for sure.
Not taking any online orders.
Ordering from a respected internet company such as Musician's Friend or ZZounds is perfectly safe. Getting equipment from both of those companies is easy, and you can expect that they will get it to you in great condition. Trust me, these guys wouldn't have the business they have if they didn't treat their customers good.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Music stores usually charge alittle more, but they usually offer more of a service.
For instance, it's customary for a free set-up to be done on an in-store bought guitar. But you may have to ask for it. If they try to charge you, tell them to shove it.
Also, retail mark up on guitars is approx 100%. This means most music outlets DOUBLE their money on the new guitars they sell. But it also means they have PLENTY of room for you to dicker them down on price and them still make a profit.
Often instead of dropping their price, they'll offer to throw in a case (usually chipboard, but better than nothing).
Those higher tag prices are there for the saps that don't know better. Believe me, they WANT your business and don't want you to buy online. They'll usually give a better deal if you demonstrate that you know YOUR STUFF.
So buying in store, if done right, should have you
A. Getting a guitar you KNOW you like.
B. Knowing that it is properly set up.
C. Getting that at a price near the online store, or perhaps W/a "free" case.
How far is it (in miles) for you to travel to the nearest town/store that has the guitar you want?
Distance is a relitive thing. I travel for a living, so a couple hundred miles is nothing to me.
I once traveled 700 miles (round trip) to buy a Guild Jumbo.
Like the one poster said, while it's better to buy in person, it's safe enough to buy online from a reputable retailer. And you've probably learned enough here to know how to handle it if you don't like the guitar you receive. It's a bit of a gamble. But not as much as buying off ebay etc.
It's nothing like 700 miles! I live in Scotland and there's not even a stretch of land 700m2 here! On top of that the guitar I want probably costs less than the nut on a Guild guitar, but the expense is relative to my wealth and skill (8 months playing guitar)! However, the nearest place that I could get this guitar from would mean a 600 mile round trip which for me - a pedestrian - is out of the question.

Piedog is a reputable online dealer here in the UK, and I have played the guitar though I know you will never get the exact same guitar, so I think it should be okay to buy from them.

I have saw a couple of different guitars as well from Tanglewood (The TD-8 and TF-8) that I might have a look at, as they are in a music shop closer to home, and although a bit more expensive, do come with a case, and do look better.

Thanks for your help everyone.