Poll: Can you read bass clef?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you read bass clef?
Yes
118 83%
No
24 17%
Voters: 142.
Page 1 of 2
I can. I'm just curious how many bassists read music and how many play strictly tabs or by ear.

If the mods don't want this thread, post and I will promptly delete.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
This thread is fine... you can learn something from this unlike a "can you play [such and such song]" threads.

I can read the bass clef. I have been able to for about 8 years since I play the piano. On bass guitar, I'm not the best at site reading, but I can figure it out after 3 times of playing through. I have been reading tabs for the longest time, and I wished I hadn't been.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I can. But I'm not a bass player. Guitar and trombone
i know the notes, up to a couple ledger lines above and below the staff. sight readin on the other hand, no.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
yea I can read the bass clef..if you dont know how...I guess I can tell you:
the notes on the spaces between lines are A-C-E-G [starting from the lowest space] and the notes ON the spaces are G-B-D-F-A[starting with the first line at the bottom]
Quote by greendayguitar
Wow, that looks extremely good, thank you mcuhly RadioHead22, for your amazing gift of foodiness.

M E S H U G G A H
Cant "read" em but I do understand and work with em. Use tabs most of the time for learning tho
I can read music easily. I played Saxophone and trumpet before I started playing bass so I knew theory and i easily learned the bass clef. I like reading music more than tabs.
yeah i can read it. i wouldnt be able to to just sight read a piece though, certainly nothing tricky anyway, but give me a piece of sheet music and a i'll figure it out. all came from piano, just like Inky.

OT: Inky, i'm well into playing Sunburn by Muse on piano at the moment, you should try it - it's a great tune!!
I can sight read bass Clef. I used to be fairly proficiant at it, but I haven't had anyone to play with that would require me to sight read for quite some time now, so my skills would be pretty rusty.

Quote by Applehead
yeah i can read it. i wouldnt be able to to just sight read a piece though, certainly nothing tricky anyway, but give me a piece of sheet music and a i'll figure it out. all came from piano, just like Inky.

OT: Inky, i'm well into playing Sunburn by Muse on piano at the moment, you should try it - it's a great tune!!

I know you weren't even targeting that at me, but I actually learned the bass part to that yesterday. It's an amazing song.
Quote by elemenohpee

I know you weren't even targeting that at me, but I actually learned the bass part to that yesterday. It's an amazing song.

Yeah, really great. I can play the bass to that too and one day it dawned on me to play the piano part and i cant stop playing it now. That and New Born, both the bass and piano. Great songs. Man, Muse rocked at Reading Festival!!! Did anyone else go?
I play double bass in an orchestra so yeah
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
I only know treble, for my different saxes (alto, tenor, bari) but i'm starting to learn bass clef with my teacher.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
I'll figure that I'll take a little time to explain my reading abilities.

I have the ability to recognize notes and play them instantly. However, I can only read within 2 octaves of "e" (low "e" to the "e" above middle "c") but if there is a low "D" or "C" I could recognize it. I rarely have to use any note higher than said high e when I read. My rhythm skills are okay. I have some difficulty with dotted notes, but standard quarter, eigths and sixteenth notes are fine with me.

I do suck with treble clef though. That's probably because I've never really had to read music for any instrument in treble clef. I've played trombone and bass guitar in school band and jazz band. I'm trying to increase my skill, however, so that I can learn to play piano.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
I've been reading all four clefs for about 6 years. I play the euphonium and bass. I can sightread on the bass well, because I started on reading notation rather than tabs.

Tabs can rot in hell for all I care.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I can read bass cleff, but i can NOT sight read it. If you give me a piece of music and a while to learn it, i can. But i can't really be rushed.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
im currently lerning, but ledger lines confuse me
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
trombone for 5 years, bass for 4. + jazz ensemble for bass. im pretty good usually, but i like everyone have my off days where it feels like ive never read music before. im better @ bass than i am @ trombone skill-wise, but i can sightread better on trombone
Treble: Piano and Guitar.

Bass: Piano, Cello, and Bass.

I've done quite a bit of cello sight-reading though I've only been playing for 3 years and the piano helps. I'd be able to sight read something reasonably simple at like 3/4 speed.
I am ahamed to say that I dont know how to read any music at all. I only know tabs, though I've been playing for a good couple of years. Whixh is a shame, as I've always wanted to play double bass, but i can't afford/have the time for music lessons, never have. I'm completely self taught. I used to know how to read music in third grade while playing the recorder though...
Are you ready for some hardcore man on Manatee action?
Learning. My teacher's tryin' to ween me off of tab. Basically unless I wanna sight-play something, I'll try to work thru it in music at this point.
haha
I personally don't find reading music very useful at all.
I could read a bit of treble, but meh. I never really learned it because I never used it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I never really learned it because I never used it.

Or "I never really used it because i never really learned it"
Nope.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Im in a swing band, I'm supposed to read bass cleff, but instead, i look at the guitar chord notes and improvise my bass riffs around them. So no, i can't read bass cleff, i'd like to learn how to. But i can read guitar tablature perfectly.
I read music - Bishop's Chorister - YAY!

Sight reading bass from a stave is easy; if you can count to 5 and know about time signitures, you're home and dry.

Alto and Tenor cleft are even simpler than the others - the cleft points to 'Middle C' on the line. Except that other tenor clef, which is the treble clef an octave down...

Yeah, reading music gets you ahead in life, and can make you look really smart in the right company.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
I've been able to read both bass and treble clef for about 7 years now since I play piano.
My sight reading on bass (guitar, not clef) still isn't that good though.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
I can read Bass clef, and Treble, i play the Bari Sax and Trombone in 2 different jazz bands, and i can't sight read and play bass very well but after a couples looking thorugh it i got it down
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
i can, but for tuba. if you wrote the bass stuff down an octave, i would have no problem, but since its written highre up, i have proplems because i would rarely go above the C middle staff. so the high D, E, F, G i would actually have to look and make sure its a D not an F sort of thing.
however, im used to 3 to 5 ledger lines below the staff \m/
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I can read it, not amazingly well as I'm a guitarist not a bassist so I'm more used to the treble.
I can read bass clef, but I suck with key signatures.

And I can't sight read to save my life.
I played the piano as a kid, so I can but I have to concentrate. I usually stick to tabs at the moment though.
I can now read both, but to be honest, I only learned to read bass clef when I started taking bass guitar lessons (which if you can find a really good teacher, and can afford it, I would highly recommend btw).

I played clarinet and sax for years, so reading music was not a problem, but my first few weeks in bass clef was quite the twilight zone experience. But really worth it!
can but can't sight read for crap. Learned all of my theory off of treble clef and can still sight read that from my trumpet days..
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Page 1 of 2