Would Oak be any good for a body, what kind of tone does it have.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
No. BAD idea.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
No. BAD idea.

Why? You can make a guitar out of anything, near enough.
Personally id make one out of cement
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
Sounds like a load of technical bull**** to me. People build guitars from ply for f*ck sake. If you have it, and it's been properly dried, go for it man.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
yea oak guitars sound good, but they are uber heavy so you gotta get a good strap and maby chamber it.
We just cut a bunch of pretty big oaks around the house before the next hurricane so I have plenty of it. How do I dry it properly, how long will it take?
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
^yea dont read that thred, its basicly one big pissing contest with no real info..all crazy luither pissing contest stuff..
My grandfather has a kiln for his pottery is that the kind I need?
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
that will work but its going to be a really low temp for a long time, its only to dry the wood really, its not a must but its really nice because you dont have to wait forever.
Well it will be a while before I start a year or so. I'm about to start on my first build, but I'm buying a warmoth tele body for it.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Quote by dustinrhocks4
My grandfather has a kiln for his pottery is that the kind I need?

just use your oven, it works too. just make sure you have a drip pan for sap.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
what temp?
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
well, the higher it is, the faster it will dry. at room temp in a low humid contition, it will dry out in about a year. but i know you dont ahve that kind of time, so the hotter, the faster, my ceramics teacher told me about 400 degrees would be fine.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^ im no wood expert but wouldnt that burn the wood?
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Ok, you CAN'T dry wood in a pottery kiln. The temp is too high. The best way to dry timber is to leave it in a warm and dry place for a few years. Suggested drying time is a year/inch thick. You try to dry it too quickly, the wood will crack. You don't dry it, and the wood will warp, and crack the clear coat. You're a lot better off buying your wood pre-dried. It's not really that expensive either.
If you want to dry it in a wood kiln, you would have to custom make on. I have no idea about the temp for drying it or how long it would take. Air drying is the easiest, you might have to cut two pieces of wood 1 inch thick and dry them for a year.
Don't quote me on any of this, it's all from memory.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by numbfinger
^ im no wood expert but wouldnt that burn the wood?

my ceramics teacher said at 550, wood will catch fire, so 400 would be okay. if you want to be safe, i would do 300.

Quote by steven seagull
400 degrees? If you're going to be cooking your wood at 400 degrees, expect mucho cracking, warping and split/cracked wood. 400 degrees is WAY to hot to be cooking in a kiln, no wood kiln will ever get hotter than 140-150 degrees.

I'm going to vote for either letting it air dry, or taking it to somebody with a kiln who knows how to properly dry wood. You can tell him what moisture content you want it down to (anywhere from 6%-8% is acceptable) and to avoid case hardening!

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Yay! Algee agrees with me