I was thinking somewhere down the road probably around christmas of getting a new amp (currently using a 15 wat) what wattage should i get next. I am looking for something that could be a bit louder and better sounding. Maybe something loud enough so later on if i decided to play with some other people it could be usable. Any thoughts?
Well, aim for 100 watts. That will get you just enough volume to play over a loud drummer. Try an SWR LA15. It's reasonably priced, and has great tone.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Well, aim for 100 watts. That will get you just enough volume to play over a loud drummer. Try an SWR LA15. It's reasonably priced, and has great tone.

100 watts for SS, if you decide to go tube you'll only need 50 or 60 watts. And that'll be loud.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
Quote by Inertiaaa
100 watts for SS, if you decide to go tube you'll only need 50 or 60 watts. And that'll be loud.

Well, for bass, a cheap 50 watt tube amp is hard to find. And a tube bass amp doesn't get as loud as a tube guitar amp.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Sturek
I was thinking somewhere down the road probably around christmas of getting a new amp (currently using a 15 wat) what wattage should i get next. I am looking for something that could be a bit louder and better sounding. Maybe something loud enough so later on if i decided to play with some other people it could be usable. Any thoughts?
Make sure it's a 15" loaded combo; also many bottom range combos don't allow extension cabs without disabling the internal speaker which then makes the combo a very heavy head!
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Make sure it's a 15" loaded combo; also many bottom range combos don't allow extension cabs without disabling the internal speaker which then makes the combo a very heavy head!

Personally, I disagree with getting 15" speaker first. I got a 4x10 first and it covers the low end well enough, but also gives me excellent mids. Something which I found the 15 didn't give me well at all. Though it could've been the speaker I tried.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Personally, I disagree with getting 15" speaker first. I got a 4x10 first and it covers the low end well enough, but also gives me excellent mids. Something which I found the 15 didn't give me well at all. Though it could've been the speaker I tried.
I meant a combo with a 15" not separate cab, is that what you meant?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I meant a combo with a 15" not separate cab, is that what you meant?

I disagreed with getting a 15" speaker first, personally I don't think it's neccessary, I prefer 4x10 speakers.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I'd find a combo with a 2x10 or 1x15, small and portable. A 4x10 is overkill unless your gigging.

Your gonna need 100 watts from a solid state amp. If it's cheap and tube, then its gonna be garbage. Your better off getting a quality solid state amp (I'm not a big fan of newer tube bass amps).

Speakers matter, but it depends on the music, if you need something punchy, then a 10's are the way to go. If you want it booming, 15's or 18's are your best bet. 15's are the most common on lower end bass combos. I used to run a Black Widow 15 and it had plenty of punch.