In eighth grade, my eighth grade jazz band was kickass. It was a big band with 6 trumpets, 6 trombones, flute etc. all talented. We also had a immensely awesomely talented rhythm section. Our bass player was godly, our drummer was a little insane, but could hold a groove. The other guitar player couldn't really solo, so that gave me lots of turns to unleash the fockin' fury. The band director was a dick, but he got the job done.

My high-school jazz band is a motley crue of inexperienced n00bs. And yes, I mean n00bs. The bass player never played a solo before, the guitar player never played in a jazz band before, all the horn players can't solo over 12 bar blues worth a damned, we have 3 drummers, none of which can keep a steady tempo, and worst of all, I have to keep the tempo the whole effing song. Have you ever heard of a jazz band where the guitar player drives the band? I don't think so.

How am I going to make it through this year?
Last edited by mikeman at Sep 8, 2006,
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Count Basie's Band? Freddy Green held em down pretty damn good.

But I don't think he held the whole rhythm section... that's not the guitarist's function at all: the guitarist is more of a reinforcer of the rhythm from bass and drums.

To be honest, I don't know what you should do. How is it that none of the good players from last year's band are in this one?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I meant for him to immitate his style, which was a steady short quater note beat which in turn would help his rythm section get the beat, I assume they know to look at each other in his band. Yes he had a great rythm section around him too but that pattern would help his band a lot.

EDIT: WTF? Which forum is this thread in???
They all went to mission viejo, and I'm stuck at poor ass laguna hills. Damn, I knew I should have went to mission.

Did I mention the band instructor here is a douche?

EDIT: Sorry, I like the speedyness of the pit and the knowledge of MT. Ya, i know I'm a dick.
I have had the same problem, except my band was good in seventh and bad in eighth. I as a Sevie, i bead out an eighth grader for a 2nd part, 1st was this kid who pwned trumpet. i ha all the solos over this kid two years older than me. And then when i picked up guitar the following year, all of the people in the band that i was good with left, and like you, i had to set the rhythm on the guitar. I had to play trumpet, guitar, and sometimes tuba in jazz. I had to switch in the middle of songs sometimes! Anyway, long rant, but i feel your pain.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
I meant for him to immitate his style, which was a steady short quater note beat which in turn would help his rythm section get the beat, I assume they know to look at each other in his band. Yes he had a great rythm section around him too but that pattern would help his band a lot.

EDIT: WTF? Which forum is this thread in???

Well, that is true, I base my swing comp style on Freddie Green.

The only thing I can think of is forming an out of school jazz band, it doesn't seem that there is much hope for learning in the currect program.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
alrighty. to be honest, what you need is a thing called... da da da dum... sectionals.
take your rhythm section (bass, guitar, keys, and whichever drummer you think shows the most promise) and practice your asses off. seriously. form your own jazz quartet or something, and learn to groove. then your band will have a solid foundation. who cares if your bass player can't solo? as long as he can keep the groove with the drummer, solos aren't important. (plus it leaves it open for you to demonstrate your skills
anyway. good luck. it takes work.

~Jazkel24~

(i strongly reccomend practicing with a metronome as a group and individually...)

edit: sorry forgot this. if your rhythm section gets good enough, i suggest you pull in a horn or something, and go play nightclubs for money...
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
at least you guys have a jazz band in your high school. Funny part we have the clappers. (Clap and dance to heavy rap beats)
But just have a jam session everyday morning lunch and afterschool so you guys could pracice and become better.
Quote by mikeman
In eighth grade, my eighth grade jazz band was kickass. It was a big band with 6 trumpets, 6 trombones, flute etc. all talented. We also had a immensely awesomely talented rhythm section. Our bass player was godly, our drummer was a little insane, but could hold a groove. The other guitar player couldn't really solo, so that gave me lots of turns to unleash the fockin' fury. The band director was a dick, but he got the job done.

My high-school jazz band is a motley crue of inexperienced n00bs. And yes, I mean n00bs. The bass player never played a solo before, the guitar player never played in a jazz band before, all the horn players can't solo over 12 bar blues worth a damned, we have 3 drummers, none of which can keep a steady tempo, and worst of all, I have to keep the tempo the whole effing song. Have you ever heard of a jazz band where the guitar player drives the band? I don't think so.

How am I going to make it through this year?

that really sucks, man. my jazz band is insane. except for this one trumpet player who isnt too good. hes only in cuz hes a senior. other than that though... awesome. id hang in there for a little while but if its really that bad, id drop it. if you cant solo over a 12 bar head then you shouldnt be in a jazz band. +bass players dont usually solo, its mostly just walking bass and stuff.
Thanks!!!

I like the idea of sectionals. Maybe a few guys will practice at lunch with me. Should be interesting...