Hey i just installed some active emg's (81 60) into my ltd, replacing the Hz's. Everything works fine but whenever i have the distortion on and am not muting the strings with my hands, i get massive feedback which just gets louder and louder, its whisper quiet when i mute the strings though. I had this same thing happen with my old pickups only not as loud. Is this normal? I mean the pups still sound great when playing but the feedback i get is ear pearcing when i dont mute the strings.

Any replies are appreciated.
I own a cube 60 amp. (dont tell me to get a tube i have no money)
And an esp ltd H-300 (mahogany set neck)
Um... I dont have any problems like that with my EMGs, they are known for being near noiseless.

Try moving further from your amp maybe?
Did you ground your guitar right?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

it says your not meant to groung it when u have emg actives in. Any other possible errors i could have made when installing which would have caused this?
Ok, well I've heard Zakk Wylde puts foam padding underneath his EMGs to eliminate feedback. Try that.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by soad1987
Hey i just installed some active emg's (81 60) into my ltd, replacing the Hz's. Everything works fine but whenever i have the distortion on and am not muting the strings with my hands, i get massive feedback which just gets louder and louder, its whisper quiet when i mute the strings though. I had this same thing happen with my old pickups only not as loud. Is this normal? I mean the pups still sound great when playing but the feedback i get is ear pearcing when i dont mute the strings.

thats you problem. you get a lot of feedback on SS amps when you have EMG active pups in the guitar
Quote by flyingjew34
Did you ground your guitar right?

emgs are designed so grounding isnt necessary
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
usually about 5-10 feet (i have a small bedroom) I put foam under my pickups like someone suggested, i dunno sorta sounds a bit better. I think im just being picky anyway.
Quote by soad1987

I had the same problem when I installed a set in a LP. I later found out that I had 'em wired wrong. EMGs wiring route is a lot different from passive pickups. I ended up removing all stock wiring and started from scratch going *strictly* by the diagram.

When installed properly they are *super* quiet, shouldn't have any feedback, regardless of how close to the amp you are.
Quote by rocknrollgod
thats you problem. you get a lot of feedback on SS amps when you have EMG active pups in the guitar

wrong!!!!

although not ideal, emgs do not at all suffer thruogh S/S amps. especially not cubes which have COSM technology designed to respond to output change.

could be a couple of things mr. threadstart.

1) could be that you wired it wrong, accidently grounded it, or anything, i've installed emg's on a few guitars now and it's a bit weird the first couple of times. hell i've had a pefect installation only to realise that i wired teh stereo jack wrong so even though the guitar worked the battery went flat in 2 weeks.

2) if it was an existing problem with your old pickups and the EMG's have just made that problem worse than it's something to do with rest of your equipment, amp, cable etc basically the extra output of the EMG actives have cause whatever problems with your equipment to become more evident (they have a knack for this). It could be your amp but then it is a problem with your amp rather than the cube range. hows the feedback without gain?
Marty
Quote by rocknrollgod

Not true at all. I've been using EMGs for about 17 years now, and most of that time, it's been thru a solid state amp. I've never had feedback issues. If your pickups are noisy, you shoould probably recheck your wiring, because that's usually the cause of the problem.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor