alright because im self elected leader of the band (Kettle Of Spoonfish) i decided it would be time for us to do a gig, just a small one. Does the crew at UG have any suggestions on how I should go about this?
With the blood of the ones he loved
Upon his filthy hands
He took a vow, never
Never to sin again.
A gig, eh? Well...

Try this. Look up a bunch of places in town that rent the use of its acommodations for a specific time slot. You know, like a person who rents out his basement, except in this case its a hall, like a church or whatever. Then, find out how much it would cost. Sell tickets at just enough to pay for the hall, and hell maybe you'll have enough for yourselves, who knows. Then play well and get a good fanbase going, maybe get laid after the gig.
yeh. do this..
go to a myspace music profile. in the myspace music bar click on shows and find shows in your area. look at the venues all the local bands are playing at and write them down. send those venues an email and seem as proffesional as possible. make sure to include the members, there ages, genre, and a purevolume/myspace if at all possible.

another way is all these bands you see playing shows, send them a myspace friend request. then send them a message saying something along the lines of 'hey guys, music sounds good. i see your playing *random date* at *random venue* let us know if you need someone to open up for you' and if they do, theyll email you back and hopefully you can get it set up to open for them. but best way is just to find venues, and email/call them
small coffe house is where my band is goin to play... just ask somebody that works there if you can contact the owner about playin there... thats what we did
One Percent
yeah problem is though we all live in a rural town so theres not much to play at except lame youth festivals which is probably where are first gig will be, thanks for the help.
Upon his filthy hands
He took a vow, never
Never to sin again.
alright an update.
Theres an open mic night at the pub one of our friends works at so were gonna play there.
Upon his filthy hands
He took a vow, never
Never to sin again.
Open mics is where its at.

Well to start at least.
Eventually open mics start to seem like a joke, now when i go to them its more for the seeing other people play/talk/get coffee.

Open mics are fun to go to, which is why their so good to start off with. Also a good audience and not too big so you dont crap yourself when you get up there.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

coffee shops

there, that settles everything
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
if you live in melbourne(and i do see that youre from australia) theres a number of venues that support begining bands
nah we live in Victor Harbor in South Australia and we'll probably just have to play the local pubs until we build a name then we'll start playing in Adelaide, well that's my plan anyway.
Upon his filthy hands
He took a vow, never
Never to sin again.
I started playing in bars, nothing gets you playing better than a bunch of people throwing beer bottles at your head.
Well we played the open mic and they pretty much loved us despite the fact the last song was pretty much entirely improvised as I was the only one who knew the song.
Upon his filthy hands
He took a vow, never
Never to sin again.