I use the rythym pick up for the entire song, but i'm not sure about the tone for the amp I think it should probably be about

bass: 5
Middle: 7
Treble:10

At least that seems to work for me.
Quote by sicformyage

me:you like acdc
them:yea i do
me:cool, whats your favorite song,other than back in black
them:i gotta go...

Quote by jordanzio
i love hilary duff and will eventually marry her... she does not know this currently...

^That's about ten grand worth of gear...

Keep everything pretty mellow, and if you have a strat, use the neck pickup. Eric Johnsons tone is in his own DNA as far as I'm concerned.

He actually plays the song live with a Gibson SG. I know, I was surprised too.
Quote by mikeman
He actually plays the song live with a Gibson SG. I know, I was surprised too.

He played it with a Strat when I saw him...
On his most recent tour? I think it's a new thing. He also played a long intro to the song, like in that one youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jwCETqFRM

Is it just me, or does something about the dude kind of freak you out? I mean, it's like every note is perfectly planned ahead of time, even in the most complex of solos. And he meticulously adjusts volume and tone like a mad man.
Last edited by mikeman at Sep 9, 2006,
Uhh thats a strat in that video...his 57 if I remember correctly.

And its not like 10k worth of gear.

Its like 50k.

Use some fuzz and way too much reverb and you are about as close as you are going to get.
It's submerged in reverb, giving it this 'distant' and 'spacious' tone. There's a bit of fuzz, but the reverb makes it sound smooth and almost clean. I hear a slight chorus in there, too. Eric uses a TC Electronic chorus.
How to get that tone??

Buy each and every piece of gear he has. Simple, that should get you close enough.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Quote by mikeman
Is it just me, or does something about the dude kind of freak you out? I mean, it's like every note is perfectly planned ahead of time, even in the most complex of solos. And he meticulously adjusts volume and tone like a mad man.

You're not the only one. Its seriously scares me how good his tone is and how good he is.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
i own the "Austin City Limits" DVD, and its ridiculious how often he adjusts something. there are a few long pauses as well so that he can adjust stuff.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page