what does a presence knob on an amp do exactly?
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
its basically like the treble control. Except the frequencies it controls are much higher.
i think its like a kinda high mid type control. it also makes your sound "cut" better. i think thats what i read. hopefully im right lol.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I've found that it really depends on the amp.

With my recto, it controls both highs and harmonics.....also, how much the amp cuts through the mix.....

there we go!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I've found that it really depends on the amp.

With my recto, it controls both highs and harmonics.....also, how much the amp cuts through the mix.....

Yeah. With my JCM900 it controlls both the high frequencies (higher than the treble anyways) and high mid-range frequencies.
It controls the high-mid response i guess ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I'm not entirely sure what frequency range it controls (its either high mids, but lower than treble (bout 2-3k maybe?), or high treble (6k+)), but i can tell you it affects how clear and the sound is, and how much its cuts through the mix. Low presence will be warm and smooth, sitting further back in the mix, high presence will be very clear and cutting, jumping out of the mix a lot.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile