hey i have an old gibson sg special and i would really like the square inlays instead of the dots, how do i do this, is it easy or do i need a pro to do it, where do i buy the inlays
Get a profesional to do it, it you have no expericne doing this, then you could very easily mess up your fretboard
kk
why isnt anyone answering to this, did i do somehting rong
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
drill the shape out to the correct depth i believe. thats why its so easy to screw up
block inlays are not hard to do but if you mess up it can be expensive to fix. If you are confident in your ability to work a dremel tool then go ahead and do it yourself, otherwise, for something that simple it shouldn't cost much to have a pro do it. www.stewmac.com has inlays, or there is always ebay.
Not taking any online orders.
dang those ones for a les paul standard are 40$$$
MY GEAR

Quote by crazydiamondII

^inlay materials are not cheap. $40 isn't a bad price for blocks of shell that large
dang are you serious
MY GEAR

Quote by crazydiamondII

Yup. If you ever tried to make inlay blanks you would understand why it costs so much.

If you want to make your own inlay blanks then you could go to www.nocbay.com and call the phone number. Ask for trace and tell her cord told you that she could help you find good shells for inlay. Tell you you need the biggest, thickest abalone shells she can find, and tell her you need 3 of them. It will cost you about $18 for the shells but you should get enough to be able to make the blanks you need. You will then have to cut, and grind the shells which is a horrible job. I'd suggest just buying the blanks you need for $40
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 9, 2006,
Mop supplies have the les paul sets from $16, it's the cheapest i've seen them for, buying this set will be cheaper then making your own if you don't have the tools for it (jeweller saw, files etc.)
how do you get the old ones out
MY GEAR

Quote by crazydiamondII