I am in school now and took Music Theory 1 and 2. Right now we are learning about the bass and teble cleff and where all the notes are and middle C and all that junk. Now is it really necesary to know where each note is by heart because I think nowadays tablature is the way to go.
nah this stuff is important, if you know theory then all you really need to know is the key, timing and all that stuffs and its way easier to improvise and to just understand a song much better. plus tablature only tells you how to play a song note for note, and if you dont have a wider understanding of music then youre stuck playin the song the same way its been done a billion times, as opposed to someone else who can change the key, do some improvising and make the song their own.
You need the notes on the staff to be able to organize chords and whatnot. But if you have the fretboard perfectly memorized and can picture things in your head well then it shouldn't be a problem. I, however, need to write theory out. You should learn it just in case, though.
tablature only tells you what to fret, but learning to read music tells you the notes and how long to hold the note. so if you knew how to read music you could play music you've never heard before. Is it nesasary to know how to read sheet music to be a guitarist? no but there are alot of other instruments where it is nesasary to be able to read sheet music.
Quote by david_highland
tablature only tells you what to fret, but learning to read music tells you the notes and how long to hold the note. so if you knew how to read music you could play music you've never heard before. Is it nesasary to know how to read sheet music to be a guitarist? no but there are alot of other instruments where it is nesasary to be able to read sheet music.

Well, some people include time in their tabs, but I'm all for learning the notes.

They are important, especially if you want to play in a orchestra type setting too. Playing pieces you've never heard is fun, and it's more descripitive in terms of dynamics and speed.
Quote by Unreal T
I am in school now and took Music Theory 1 and 2. Right now we are learning about the bass and teble cleff and where all the notes are and middle C and all that junk. Now is it really necesary to know where each note is by heart because I think nowadays tablature is the way to go.

Yes, sheet music is very important, because it actually tells you timing and whatnot. And its a lot easier to analyze sheet music then tabs.
yeah but if you see all of the notes all over the place and all of the symbols etc. I think it would take more time reading and deciphering it all than to actually play the song using tabs etc.
I understand its important to know but wouldnt it take a loooong time to just look at all the confusing stuff on the staff and just know it by heart?
Quote by Unreal T
yeah but if you see all of the notes all over the place and all of the symbols etc. I think it would take more time reading and deciphering it all than to actually play the song using tabs etc.
I understand its important to know but wouldnt it take a loooong time to just look at all the confusing stuff on the staff and just know it by heart?

Took me a year. It's easy.

And also you learn to sight read.
Quote by Unreal T

You just have to practice it. It's like reading words. It's hard at first, but if you do it a lot, you'll get it!
Eventually you can just look at it and know EXACTLY where you can play everything
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Unreal T

I've been able to read sheet music since I was about 10, after a while it's not too hard. Although I use it for Clarinet more than guitar but I'm working on getting it down for guitar too.
Quote by Unreal T

It's hard at first yea. I'm working my way through the whole sheet music side of things, it's so fun! Playing pieces you have never heard is very rewarding. Plus you are able to translate ideas with any and all musicians (except those less educated). If you practise, you will be quite comfortable with it. It doesn't take as long to decipher as you think. Just like someone previous to me said, it's just like reading. Start with simple melodies and with uncomplex rhythms, then build your way up to War and Peace
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Musical Nototation is seemingly hard, when its actually very simple. Seriously, when you look at it and you see hundreds of notes with little tails and there are loads of accidentals etc, its only until you break it down into its constituent parts that it becomes simple.

Tablature is incredibly useful, but it does not give you all the information. Also, its very hard to sight read form tablature, you can only really learn one bar at a time and memorise it. Im not just talking about seeing one note after another, anyone can sight read that. Its when you get harmonisation, key/time signature change, different rhythms that tablature seems so hard.

On a musical stave you have five lines, and you can place a note on or in between these lines. This makes it very easy to see a change in pitch, as you have everything represented phsically, rather than symbolically as it is in tab, with the numbers.

Its hard to understand at first but notation really is much easier and all these symbols will come to you naturally once you actually put a little bit of effort into learning them rather than ignoring them.

It does however, get much more complicated when you get into harder stuff rather than tab. You have some very long winded performance directions which you must heed to, there are a lot of technical terms and abbreviations not used in tab and so on.

To summerise what I have said, basically Musical Notation is much different to what you think. Dont immediately and arrogantly delcare that it is worthless and stupid, as you have had no experiance in using it, and therefore know very little about it.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
While we're on the topic...

I'm a pretty visual learner, so tablature isn't very helpful to me, except for simple things. Aside from watching riff videos, would learning to read sheet music help me understand what to play and when better than tabs?
Nuns have no fun!
Man Im glad I learnt sight-reading (Im really good at it on other instruments.. not guitar though :p) and notes and all that jazz when I took piano lessons when I was like 6 years old. It just sticks to the head at that age :P
Last edited by Fongie at Oct 9, 2006,
yea man, learn the notes and all, tabs are NOT the way to go, i used to tab and now i hate myself for it, when u learn it all it makes everything SO MUCH EASIER
So here's a question. If reading music is so important, when was the last time you saw a rock band up on stage reading while they play?

just being mischevious
Quote by guitarviz
So here's a question. If reading music is so important, when was the last time you saw a rock band up on stage reading while they play?

Is this a serious question?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by guitarviz

just being mischevious

rofl

marching bands dont always have music to read music while they play either.

in fact im in a metalcore band and i dont read music while i play, but i do write all my music down in notation.