Ok so i got a ds-1 thinking i could get some sweet sounds out of it, and I cant. I have to keep the tone all the way down or else i get the really nasty sounding high pitched overtone distortion, and ive never heard anything like that, is it a bad unit or what? could it be my notoriously clean twin reverb thats causin' the problems? I was looking for a Steve Vai kinda tone, very smooth and tight, but still very dynamic and full. What kinda pedal should i buy?
Well, DS-1s do not suck.

I guess it could be a bad unit, try returning it to the store and trying a new one. If not, try as many other distortion pedals as you can.... Sorry I'm not really an expert on pedals.

That being said though, your DS-1 shouldn't have that problem.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Maybe you just need a new amp. Try cranking the settings on your Tubescreamer too.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Do you mean feedback, or something else?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
If it's not feedback, there may be a problem with it. Have you isolated the problem as the pedal itself?

If not, check your leads, make sure there isn't a computer screen or TV screen nearby the amp to cause interference, and make sure the battery/power supply for the pedal is good.

If you check all of those things, and it's still making the noise, take the pedal back and get another one. If that one has the same problem, return it for something else.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
Ok so i got a ds-1 thinking i could get some sweet sounds out of it, and I cant. I have to keep the tone all the way down or else i get the really nasty sounding high pitched overtone distortion, and ive never heard anything like that, is it a bad unit or what? could it be my notoriously clean twin reverb thats causin' the problems? I was looking for a Steve Vai kinda tone, very smooth and tight, but still very dynamic and full. What kinda pedal should i buy?

The DS-1s suck some major balls. It doesn't have 3 band EQ, meaning that you can't get a good heavy bass rhythm tone while also having a great lead tone. With that pedal, you either get mud, or mosquito. As a wiseman at guitar center said, the ds-1 will give you some dirt, but it won't give you any balls!

For you, I reccommend the Boss MD-2. It blends perfectly with my fender deluxe amp! It has adjustable highs and lows, therefore, no mud. Also, It has better gain, with gain boost. You'll be much happier with it. I sure am.