Page 1 of 2
I have two guitars sitting here that I want to give a PAINT JOB to. I have an unknown Squier, and an Epi G-310.

My first choice is to paint the Squier as I have taped, with the Union Jack, so I might do that. Or I could change the design and do something totally different.
NOTE: I'm doing a DESIGN on my guitar + a whole paintjob. I've got too much spare time to just do a normal colour.

Second option is to mod the G-310.. But I'm thinking I might keep that for later, because when I mod the G-310, I want to put new stuff in it, not just cosmetic changes.

SO! Give me ideas about what I should do to the Strat.. Or if you think I should mod the G-310, give me ideas for that.

Oh, and if in anyone can help identify my Squier, that'd be handy dandy. It has no name on EITHER SIDE of the headstock, no serial, and that's how it came.

I'm PRETTY sure it's the cheapest one available, cause from what I've heard, it came in one of those "Strat Pak" thingomabobs...

Oh, and being the dud that I am, I'm forgetting; the G-310 is made out of Alder.. Alder's the **** material, right? It's like one up on plywood? Or am I confused? Bah!

THANKING THEE KINDLY~

that could work!!!

but on a serious note I would just do black and white checkers on the strat
Alder is a really nice tonewood. It is used extensively on Strat bodies. It is one of the "big 3" of tone woods, the other 2 being mahogandy and ash.

Agathis on the other hand is the wood that is one step up from plywood.

If you have Alder, it will be lovely. If you have Agathis, it will be poop.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Quote by pyromaniac7234
Agathis on the other hand is the wood that is one step up from plywood.

Hazzah! That's the one! I sat here for a good 15 minutes trying to think of the name of Agathis....

It's like when people tell you to find out how something is spelled by looking it up in the dictionary? How does one start!?

Okay, nobody seems to care, so I'm going to ask; What should I do to the Epi? What pickups should I put in for a general rock kinda sound. So, I want to have a loud kind of distortion thingo majig, but I also want it cleanish. Doesn't matter if it's not.

Like if anyone knows Daniel Johns of Silverchair's guitar off Frogstomp... That kind of sound..
Seymour Duncan SH-1 in the neck and a SH-12 in the bridge. Replace the bridge, tuners, electronics etc and you will have a drool worthy guitar. Make it look like this, and I will love you forever.

Or, just go crazy and make this

"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yay!

Started a day earlier than I thought I would. I don't trust myself tomorrow or tonight as I'm going to be VERY intoxicated tonight..

Just took everything apart and will start sanding in a few minutes... Just waiting for my brother to come home with the sandpaper! Haha yay! =D

Been 4 hours since I started... I've decided to sand 100% manually.

.. I think I want to die. My hands hurt SO much.

I promise I wont update again until I've finished sanding and prep for painting, though XD
Seymour Duncan SH-1 in the neck and a SH-12 in the bridge. Replace the bridge, tuners, electronics etc and you will have a drool worthy guitar. Make it look like this, and I will love you forever.

that guitar is beatiful, the color and the pups made the guitar look so awesome
for the rock sound, humbuckers, for the clean, make one or both of them tappable on a push-pull pot or change the standard 3-way switch to 5-way and do it that way... and for the finish, the gold hardware looks classy. for the strat, white and black checkers sounds great, its a pity theres that big pickguard thee to hide it, though you could paint that too...

"You're a MESS!"
That flag looked cool. At first glance I didnt notice it was tape either. Untill you showed the pic of it taken apart.
Quote by Gymmeh
ny strat has a 5 way switcjh.
i dunno how to make a 5 wasy switch out of a 5 way swith ahhahahaa.

the 3 way on the epiphone, not the strat, he only wants a paintjob for the strat, but new hardware for the epiphone

"You're a MESS!"
I love SG's. One that looks similar to that is on the list of my future projects
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I've decided to go with THIS idea instead.

But I have a question, I can't be ****ed doing any more sanding if I'm going to be covering it with glue. If I was painting it, I'd sand more, but with this, I wont. Is that probably not a good idea?

And question 2, I was thinking of just using paper mache glue, which is actually just flour & water. Yes? No? Why?
The only problem I can think of is if the glue doesn't stick to the paint. Paper mache glue? Not too sure about that man. I'd go with wood glue personally
I thought of mache glue because it wont blur or spread the ink on the paper.... But I'm not sure now.

I've still got 2 weeks, so I might just try it on some scrap timber lying around, using different glues and clear coats, so what sticks, what doesn't etc.

But I'm not caring about timeline much anymore. I'm having fun working on it.

I'm just after more guitars to modify! Mwahaha!
Holy fark this is time consuming. Organising and arranging the articles so that they don't or hardly overlap is damn near impossible! I'm not going for a neat look, rather a "random" and "messy" look, but I chose articles that were funny, odd, or meant something to me, and it'll be MIGHTY annoying in a few years time to not be able to read the whole article!

Another thing, does anybody know what glue I should use to stick them down? In about 15 minutes I'm going to try paper mache glue. I'll tell ya'll how it works out =D
use some spray glue, paper mache has too much water in it, bad for the wood....in the guitar
Okay folks.

ANOTHER update.. Yee-uh, go me.

I'm lazy as ****, and that newspaper thing is TOO hard. The edges have too many folds and stuff..

Maybe if one day I can get my hands on a sharper edged superstrat I'll do just the face, but on the strat I'm working with, it's just too hard.

So I'm going to go with the Union Jack idea.

But...but.....aren't you Aussie?
Quote by the_random_hero
But...but.....aren't you Aussie?

I was wondering about that too. If I ever get round to doing a paint job on a guitar I'm probably going to put very thin multicoloured stripes along the length of the body, I might have to get a custom pickguard with the same colours on to match it though. I might put a pic up later on if this thread's still active.
Hey, I didn't do it as the British flag... I did it as the Union Jack.. OH GOD, SOMEONE STOP ME. I'M HILARIOUS! ....

Tomorrow hopefully I'll be getting paint.

They sell Duplicolor in Aus, right?
11 hours of hand sanding and I've still got the horns to finish~! =D

My fingers have blisters on them from friction burns~! =D

I'm so amatuer, there's parts of the body that I've oversanded that are all rough and weird~! =D

I'm the best.
Quote by Gymmeh
11 hours of hand sanding and I've still got the horns to finish~! =D

My fingers have blisters on them from friction burns~! =D

I'm so amatuer, there's parts of the body that I've oversanded that are all rough and weird~! =D

I'm the best.

Sanding block + 80 grit will make short work of the flat surfaces and prevent gouges from over-sanding.
Quote by Gymmeh
Guess what I'm using? =]

Sanding block & 80 grit =]

LOL U R TEH FAILUER!!!!!!!! KEKEKEKEKE

Now that I'm dead inside, some advice. Just take it slow man, there's (hopefully) nobody with a gun against your head saying "GO FASTER!"
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Why not just get paint stripper?

And as an Aussie, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts Jimmeh, gonna kick you sqah in the nuts.

How dare you even think of befouling a guitar, even a Squier, with that ugly Union Jack, you could of atleast painted the Swatsika on it, but no. You go English on our asses, would you like a crumpet now?

Oh, btw. Do up the G-300, or whatever it's called.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
How dare you even think of befouling a guitar, even a Squier

Would've been better if you wrote "or a Squier"
I'm getting antsy.

I've done the primer.

I want a G,B&C award for "worst everything job".

So far my sanding facked up, my priming has facked up. Taking it apart facked up, as I lost a trem coverplate screw.

I'm SURE I'm using the wrong paint.

I've bailed out on 2 of my design ideas.

Trying to clean my fretboard only ended in me scratching the facking thing.

Jeebus. AND the one day I'm able to paint the piece of shat, it's WINDY. I've managed to find a spot that's not windy, so I should be right...

But jeebus. I can see this turning out bad. Either that, or miraculously good!

I've been keeping a photo journal. I'll post at the end if ANYONE cares. Haha.
Quote by Gymmeh
I'm getting antsy.

I've done the primer.

I want a G,B&C award for "worst everything job".

So far my sanding facked up, my priming has facked up. Taking it apart facked up, as I lost a trem coverplate screw.

I'm SURE I'm using the wrong paint.

I've bailed out on 2 of my design ideas.

Trying to clean my fretboard only ended in me scratching the facking thing.

Jeebus. AND the one day I'm able to paint the piece of shat, it's WINDY. I've managed to find a spot that's not windy, so I should be right...

But jeebus. I can see this turning out bad. Either that, or miraculously good!

I've been keeping a photo journal. I'll post at the end if ANYONE cares. Haha.

did you break about a dozen mirrors and dumped salt over the table before you started working on this?
Well, the good thing about painting again is you can sand the ****er down and start again! Use 120 grit to take it back to bare wood, then smoothe it down to 400. You will have to seal and primer it again, use a sticky or somebody who totally knows what they are talking abouts advice

OR

Keep doing it ****ly. Use it as a practice guitar before you start working on the G-310. That things got some awesome potential!
Last edited by the_random_hero at Sep 28, 2006,
I'd hate to alarm you but there's nails in your guitar.

Anyway, do a better paintjob, the Union Jack is overrated.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
I'd hate to alarm you but there's nails in your guitar.

Yeah, i know. Makes it hard to play sometimes.
Do the RR polka dots on it. That would look sweet!
Page 1 of 2