Hmm... so I got a really cool idea for a vest to make just in time for the winter. But, I need some sewers advice for it. I want to vest out of an AMerican flag, and try to arrange it where the blue bit is on my right shoulder. Then, I'm thinking I'll put chainmail from an old diving suit in my attic over the blue bit. Then, on the back, I'll use stencil punks stencils and spraypaint in black(maybe gold or silver?) symbols for my miscellaneous beliefs (food not bombs, patriotic dissent, democracy now, that sort of thing...) Then, I'll burn the bottoms of it a little to make it look extra raggetyish. I was thinking about putting a bullet through it where the heart outta be. So, that's the idea.

How the heck do I do it? Like, how much material will I need? (I'm about 6'4 and 156... skinny as rail) How much sewing will be involved? That sort of thing. I've never made my own clothes before. I thought this would be a radical idea.
yeah... someone might get mad that you painted the flag, and put chainmail on it... but im not a tailor, so i dont have an answer for you
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
yeah... someone might get mad that you painted the flag, and put chainmail on it... but im not a tailor, so i dont have an answer for you

To be honest, I don't really think he's caring about people getting mad at him for his clothes.
I agree with hardrock, it will be a lot easier to take a vest and add stuff to it than to make one from scratch. If you're set on making one from scratch use another vest as a template. As far as the flag goes, it doesn't really matter if people get mad but you should be prepared to explain why you did it so you don't come off as an ignorant dumb***. Like say you are doing in protest of the govt's attempt to ban flag burning, which is part of freedom of speech or something like that. good luck with the vest
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeah... i see ur point hard rock... but i was just thinking that there probably is a law that says you cant do that to the flag... Hell why not theres a law against just about everything else.
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Hmm... I'm doing it to protest what the flag has become. It's a symbol that few people understand the symbology in. Those who do understand it often try to turn it to their own gain. The flag has almost come to represent corporate interests and right wing propaganda more than liberty and freedom. Think about the Pledge of Allegiance. I sit down at my school through it every day. "I pledge allegiance to the flag..." That's a crappy way to start a pledge to liberty. I pledge myself to the ideals of liberty and justice for all. I won't pledge to an object. I love the ideal, not the idol. You dig? I just thing that spraying the symbols over it is representational of what it's really about. I'm using chainmail because... I'm tired of seein studs and spikes. Could I get a cheap blue jean vest at a thrift store, salvation army place, or like, hudsons? Maybe leather would be better for this...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there actually is a law against this... but hey, freedom of expression, right? I'd love to get arrested for a vest. It'd be cool to see the public reaction.
Quote by MS_Mosher
symbology

That's a new one.

Quote by MS_Mosher
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there actually is a law against this... but hey, freedom of expression, right? I'd love to get arrested for a vest. It'd be cool to see the public reaction.

Somehow I doubt that anyone would "love to get arrested" for anything. But I see your point.
^ lol Have you seen boondock saints?

Quote by MS_Mosher
Hmm... I'm doing it to protest what the flag has become. It's a symbol that few people understand the symbology in. Those who do understand it often try to turn it to their own gain. The flag has almost come to represent corporate interests and right wing propaganda more than liberty and freedom. Think about the Pledge of Allegiance. I sit down at my school through it every day. "I pledge allegiance to the flag..." That's a crappy way to start a pledge to liberty. I pledge myself to the ideals of liberty and justice for all. I won't pledge to an object. I love the ideal, not the idol. You dig? I just thing that spraying the symbols over it is representational of what it's really about. I'm using chainmail because... I'm tired of seein studs and spikes. Could I get a cheap blue jean vest at a thrift store, salvation army place, or like, hudsons? Maybe leather would be better for this...

That's cool, its nice to see that you have a reason cause its annoying to see kids with anarchy shirts or stuff that says f*** the govt without being able to back up their slogans. I can't imagine the chainmail but its sounds pretty unique ( plus if someone tries to stab you, you can laugh at their puzzled ass, be sure to post some pics.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeah, i see your point... and im sure that if this is really your reason, then most of america will be behind you.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Quote by yeahyeah
^ lol Have you seen boondock saints?

That's cool, its nice to see that you have a reason cause its annoying to see kids with anarchy shirts or stuff that says f*** the govt without being able to back up their slogans. I can't imagine the chainmail but its sounds pretty unique ( plus if someone tries to stab you, you can laugh at their puzzled ass, be sure to post some pics.

Yeah. ^_^ Favorite line, "Your and your fu**in rope..."

Yeah man, we're trying to start a real punk scene around here. It's a scene barely sustained on alternative rock bands. While that's okay, the shows are terrible. I'm thinking about the name "Patriotic Dissent" for our band name. Ehh... gettin off subject, but poo. What do you think?
I guess the name's decent, sit on it and if you like it in a couple of weeks go with it. If you are going for the whole patriotic thing it looks like you are in the perfect location to write songs about fema and the governments response to the hurricane. I'm guessing that everybody from your area would be able to relate and maybe get into your music as well as punk in general.
Edit: I meant political not patriotic
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Last edited by yeahyeah at Sep 9, 2006,
Quote by MS_Mosher
Yeah. ^_^ Favorite line, "Your and your fu**in rope..."

Yeah man, we're trying to start a real punk scene around here. It's a scene barely sustained on alternative rock bands. While that's okay, the shows are terrible. I'm thinking about the name "Patriotic Dissent" for our band name. Ehh... gettin off subject, but poo. What do you think?

Dude, I've heard crazy punk rock stories about Biloxi (before the Hurricane), they used to have shows in ****ing Trailer parks there.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Good lcuk with the vest and the scene, I like your way of thinking.
Yeah, used too. Since the storm most of the real movers and shakers of the scene have left of don't have any equipment. We had one band called the Edison Blueprint that was pretty good... but one of the players did the wild thing with one of the other players girlfriend. That pretty much broke it up. Christian band too...