I've had a guitar for... Well... Since last christmas. Problem being, I haven't been trying to learn really because I couldn't figure out how to use tabs. I mean, I could probably do them if I could just.. read them. But I can't. If you're viewing this post you're viewing the post of an aspiring guitarist that can't play at all. I've asked at other forums but they either made fun of me for no apparent reason, or just quit trying to explain... For the love of god help me
Tablature is a really easy way of learning songs on stringed instruments. Basically, it goes like this.

E--------
B--------
G--------
D--------
A--------
E--------

Each letter there corresponds to a string. To read notes, just look at the number on each line. The number is the fret you should play on.

E----2
B---3-
G--2--
D-0---
A-----
E-----

This, for example is a D major arpeggio in tablature. You play the D string open, G string 2nd fret, B string 3rd fret, and high E string 2nd fret. Have fun learning songs and stuff!
E| --------------------------------------------------------------------- Highest String
B| ---------------------------------------------------------------------
G| ---------------------------------------------------------------------
D| -----5--------------------------------------------------------------
A| ---7--------7-------------------------------------------------------
E| -0-----6-5--------------------------------------------------------- Lowest String

Sorry about the sloppiness, but that's the intro to Enter Sandman, so you'd play the open E (low), 3rd (or 4th) finger on the 7th fret on the A string, 1st finger on the fifth fret on the D string, 2nd finger, 6th fret, E (low) string, 1st finger, 5th fret, E string (low) and 3rd (or 4th) finger on the 7th fret, A string.

If that was confusing use something else.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
I suggest you learn actually music notation before you begin learning tabs. Learning the C Major scale and how to read it on the staff is a great skill to have. It doesn't necessarily give you an easier understanding of tablature, but it gives you a better musical sense if you kind of get my drift.

And as for reading tabs: The number on the lines refers to which fret you play. That number is positioned on a line corresponding to the string it is played on. For instance, there are generally 6 lines on a tab. The bottom is a low E string, and the top line is the high e string. A 5 on the top line would mean you play an A (the fifth fret) on the high e string. Got it yet?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

My problem is the short attention span of someone with an extreme case of ADD or ADHD or whatever. I know **** about the guitar...
look at the neck of your guitar. see those little dots? they represent the numbers in tabs. the furthest one away is 1, the next dot will be at 3 then 5, 7, 9 and 12.

so,
the tab represents the six strings.

------------------
------------------
------------------
-------------------
-------------------
-1-3-5---------------

basically that means play top string (thickest) at those dots.

if you get that part, try and play this

-----------------------------------------------------------------
----0---3---5----0----3---6-5------0---3---5----3----0----
Ibanez 370DX LH, Tanglewood Nevada LH, Freshman Apoostic, VOX AD30VT amp
Buy like a month of lessons from a guitar teacher (if there's a really good one that can explain it easily) and ask about reading tab. Mine taught me tab right away along with reading "normal" music.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Venice,

When I was a beginner I also had tough times during the early stage of learning to play guitar but you can surely make it. It's just a matter of determination and perseverance.

Alternately, you can also visit: http://www.guitarreference.com/reading_tab.htm for an easy reference on how to read guitar tabs.