So, I've just got into a new band as bassist... and they're pretty high-profile. I need an amp A.S.A.P for rehearsals and gigging (easily taken care of by my good friend 'line out')... and I've narrowed it down to these 2. Max price 150 pounds.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69084

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown---Five-Fifteen~ID~2092.asp

which one? I play punk (Ramones, Misfits, Samhain, AFI) and I'm running an OLP MM2 through it if you're willing to suggest other amps. I can't save up any more than that since I need it NOW!
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Sep 9, 2006,
Both come from very reepectable companies, but if your gigging i would get the ashdown as it has more power. Then you can get an external cab with it, another 150 quid ashdown one
HAving faced a very simialir dilemma a few months earlier, i'd say go for the ashdown. The tone is so much better, and it has more power.
I used that laney amp for a very short while, well the model that that replaced. it JUST about cuts in a band practice situation and not at all live.
I own an ashdown amp now (MAG-300) and it's vastly superior, and having pl;ayed the five fifteen, so is that.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Last edited by Forcemaster at Sep 9, 2006,
The only problem with the Ashdown is that it'll be VERY hard for me to lug around, and it doesn't have a line out to put it through the PA- the Laney does.

I've also seen some 5:15s that are 65W and some that are 100W... which is it?
I think maybe then, you'll have to save for something better. Probably not what you wanted to hear but you may have to wait. and save for perhaps the mag series of Ashdown which do have line out/DI.
if you can't save for some reason, still get the five fifteen.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Aidy Damage
I've also seen some 5:15s that are 65W and some that are 100W... which is it?

So true...I'm planning to get an 12" electric blue and i just get confused by the Five Fifteen where on the back on the amp, it says 65W but on all the websites it says its 100W
I absolutely can't save. I don't even have a practice amp!

I think the Laney will be the way to go. When I'm playing live, I'll be making use of the DI, which the Ashdown doesn't have.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I absolutely can't save. I don't even have a practice amp!

I think the Laney will be the way to go. When I'm playing live, I'll be making use of the DI, which the Ashdown doesn't have.

If your not going to listen to our advice, Don't ask. and it seems like you already had your mind made up.. IMO the Ashdown would be your best bet, but i think you shoul;d just wait and save up for a amp you won't have to replace fast
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
If your gonna DI it live anyway, why not buy a Sansamp? Probably cost you less then an amp
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Apok
If your gonna DI it live anyway, why not buy a Sansamp? Probably cost you less then an amp

Because I need to practice with something, maybe?
After trying out more amps, I decided on a Peavey MAX 115. Definately the best amp I tried.
I had an ashdown five fifteen blew it the **** up. Twice. Then they upgraded me to a electric blue 180 and that thing ****ing pwns. I'm a huge ashdown fan. Get a electric blue 180 for practice. They're good. Go for a ashdown form the mag series if you can afford it. I may be getting one of thier ABM evo II when i get the cash.
lmao, i had both of those amps. the five fifteen i have was the 65W one, and carrying it was a pain in the arse (15" and only one handle!). the RB3 is easier to carry, but only 12". both are cracking amps IMO, and youve chosen a good amp now anyway

Quote by Lost Hippie
I had an ashdown five fifteen blew it the **** up. Twice. Then they upgraded me to a electric blue 180 and that thing ****ing pwns. I'm a huge ashdown fan. Get a electric blue 180 for practice. They're good. Go for a ashdown form the mag series if you can afford it. I may be getting one of thier ABM evo II when i get the cash.

twice?

the EB is a good amp, but still, one handle! I'm looking at getting a MAG soon though
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Yeah i blew it up, apperently they had a problem at the factory and installed soemthing wrong. They sent me a new one and it blew up too. So i asked for a upgrade or a refund so they gave me the electric blue. It rocks.
Quote by Lost Hippie
Yeah i blew it up, apperently they had a problem at the factory and installed soemthing wrong. They sent me a new one and it blew up too. So i asked for a upgrade or a refund so they gave me the electric blue. It rocks.

ah, Ashdown had a QC problem a while back. probably one of those. i just ripped the electronics out of my 5:15, and im gonna get a nice speaker for it and hook it up to my RB-3
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.