I'm looking for a first guitar for a friend. His budget is up to £200 and he has never played before but has played violin to about grade 8 so shouild pick up guitar fast

He really likes Thrash\death\black metal music - nightwish, bodom, trivium, chimaira etc.. and i don't know what to recommend to him what with me being into much lighter music.

He was thinking about Possubly a V shape or similar "non-mainstream" designs, but i heard they're awkward to play with so might not be a good first guitar - they're also more expensive.

Can anyone recommend a good guitar for a metal based beginner (maybe an ibanez or jackson)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
what about the amp. what amp does he use? and since he is only starting to play just get him a super strat style guitar for ultimate comfort
I would recommend either a B.C Rich Warlock Bronze, which is a bit mainstream but a very good beginning metal guitar. Or a Jackson King V which is an amazing guitar and perfect for metal. The Bronze is about $150 and the King V is around $300.
Last edited by grimevil at Sep 9, 2006,
If he's just starting, get him to buy like a Strat Pack or something along those lines. Or you could buy something like a Jay Turser V and a cheap little Fender or Vox amp
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Get A warlock. I find the Warlock Bronze serious the best guitar to start out with if your into metal. Or one of those Washburn packages so he can have use of a whammy bar.
I've got an Ibanez RG350EX and I play every type of metal with it. It's also the first (and only one) electric I've ever had.
It's not V shaped but it's quite aggressive. You can see here its design.
What do you think?
Quote by purple girl
I've got an Ibanez RG350EX and I play every type of metal with it. It's also the first (and only one) electric I've ever had.
It's not V shaped but it's quite aggressive. You can see here its design.
What do you think?

i think the trem will go crappies on you within a couple of months and you will be lucky if it last you longer than a year
Purple girl

Whats the Trem like on that? it looks interesting but cheaper guitars tend to be ruined by trying too much with the trem if its a double locking trem that goes out of tune it's bascially useless

he's proabably get a 15w cube or something similar as that would suit his style

I could recommend him a starter pack but i don't think he;d appreciate it. I think he'd be planning to practice a lot and beacause he's a violinist and has done theory etc. he'll proabbly pick up fast - i would like to recommend him a guitar he could grow into ability wise not sometihng he's going to have for 6 months and then hate becasue of the crappy plywood body.

Superstrats are more comfortable and in the end he'll proabably get one, but i don't know what ones are good for metal style stuff - or maybe an SG or les paul rather than a V

The V shape and other shapes was just a thought (shouldn't have mentioned it really gives people ideas) - he wants a decent quiality guitar not something that's overpriced and rubbihs just beacuse it's in a weird design...that rules out cheap B.C riches biatches (no offense but a rhyme is a rhyme)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Sep 9, 2006,
Jackson Js30 series? Comes in Warrior (brutal) and Rhoads (sublime) shapes...and apparently sounds sweet as, too, plus there's all that lovely comfy Jackson neck. Thomann.de have the Rhoads for £175.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i think the trem will go crappies on you within a couple of months and you will be lucky if it last you longer than a year

Mmm...why?
I mean, mine is 3 months now and it's perfect.
But maybe you're right. A fixed bridge is better for a beginner...
Just don't get a b.c. rich, bad experiences man, they just arent quality instruments in my oppinion.
Originally posted by XMetallica73X
i would love iran compared to this place trust me, they dont lie to you

^ FIELD TRIP TIME
Quote by doive
Purple girl

Whats the Trem like on that? it looks interesting but cheaper guitars tend to be ruined by trying too much with the trem if its a double locking trem that goes out of tune it's bascially useless

No. It doesn't go out of tune.
Well, perhaps I'm too gentle with my sister but even when I get really crazy ( ) she keeps the tuning.
Quote by purple girl
Mmm...why?
I mean, mine is 3 months now and it's perfect.
But maybe you're right. A fixed bridge is better for a beginner...

because many of the regulars around here know the trouble with low end guitars with floyd rose bridges is that theyre made out of soft metal and will generally were away and start losing its tuning stability even joel_grieve had a post a long time ago about how crap his was
Quote by azn_guitarist25
because many of the regulars around here know the trouble with low end guitars with floyd rose bridges is that theyre made out of soft metal and will generally were away and start losing its tuning stability even joel_grieve had a post a long time ago about how crap his was

Well, I hope mine will last as long as possible...
But do you know how old was joel_grieve's one?
Quote by purple girl
Well, I hope mine will last as long as possible...
But do you know how old was joel_grieve's one?

not too sure about that probably guessing maybe a year or two
Quote by azn_guitarist25
not too sure about that probably guessing maybe a year or two

mh. do you think it's too less for a $350 guitar?
Quote by purple girl
mh. do you think it's too less for a $350 guitar?

meh. depends on which country you live in for example over here in aus where everything is majorly jacked its wiser to save more money to buy the prestige models then too buy a low end guitar even though the price wouldnt make it out to be low end.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
meh. depends on which country you live in for example over here in aus where everything is majorly jacked its wiser to save more money to buy the prestige models then too buy a low end guitar even though the price wouldnt make it out to be low end.

here in italy life is quite expensive...as well as music needs
anyways, hope my tremolo bridge will last forever
Quote by grimevil
I would recommend either a B.C Rich Warlock Bronze, which is a bit mainstream but a very good beginning metal guitar.

Quote by zigslip
Get A warlock. I find the Warlock Bronze serious the best guitar to start out with if your into metal.

NO!

No Warlocks. Not now, not ever. Get a cheap Jackson or Ibanez, maybe you could get an used one.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
say NO to bronze warlocks!
Quote by jackal20
a drop of steve vai's blood in the guitar paint will make you shred yourself back in time

Quote by Zeppelin256
The last guy here who liked Green Day and made a thread about it died in a freak accident.

You wouldn't want that to happen, would you?